AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finished building our new home this summer and so far this fall I have been finishing the non-theater side of the basement while honing my construction skills.

Now I am getting to where I need to make some decisions that will effect the theater and wanted to get some input. I have a pretty large open area to use and am looking for a theater with a large 110" + screen and two rows of seating though I might swap out the second row for some bartop seating behind the first row. Just no really sure how I want to proceed.

The first thing I need to decide is where to locate the wall at the bottom of the stairs as I would like to do this first so that I can completely finish the other side of the basement.

Here is the layout.

And some pictures of the area.

From the bottom of the stairs.

Looking into the back corner with the window.

Looking back toward the stairs.

The ceiling height on the stairs side of the center beam is 9', under the beam it is 7'5" and just on the far side of the beam I have the hvac which is around 8'.

My initial thoughts where to use this entire area for a good sized theater with a wet bar back along the window, but I am now thinking that making the theater in the longs area on the stairs side of the beam with a wall under the beam. Then using the area near the window as a computer/equipment room. Essentially this would give me another bedroom that I would use as a pc room, also might be nice to have a room like this where I could push the equipment rack into this room and have easy access to the wiring. Only downside is that it would add another door to the theater.

For sound isolation I am planning on going staggered stud walls for all except those along the foundation and then DD and GG. Will be decoupling the walls as well as the ceiling.

So give me some ideas. I will be doing all the work myself and posting my progress here once it gets started after the holidays.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Looks good so far. Would / could there be a wall between the proposed sound source and that stairwell? If not, it will seriously compromise the isolation efforts.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Rcoe, I am not an expert, so keep that in mind when I give my opinion.

I would keep the home theater room away from the stairway. It should help to reduce sound to the rest of the house. Also I would opt to have the room oriented using the larger width. (16'6") You still would have a lot of length (28'6")

The only reason I can see not to do this would be because of the that support beam. I can see how that would pose great challenges for a projector, and/or riser seating.

Looks like you have a great space to work with. Lots of length, regardless of which way you orient the room. Good luck.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,142 Posts
I couldn't tell from your pictures if all of your fuel burning utilities use outside air for combustion or whether you will need to vent the utility room to the larger area. If you have to vent it will be a noise nuisance (personal experience). One thing to think about is using staggered stud construction between the utility room and the theater space.

If you have to vent it one idea for you is that I built a serpentine pathway lined with Linacoustic for my vents and it did cut the sound a few db.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

Quote:
If you have to vent it one idea for you is that I built a serpentine pathway lined with Linacoustic for my vents and it did cut the sound a few db.

OK, given that we all know the current state of my build so I can't truly vouch for the effectiveness of this, my HVAC inspector told me that if you choose to vent (versus the use of louvered doors), you have to have one vent high and one low on the wall, but the code doesn't say WHERE the vents have to be.

I put both of mine down the hallway around the corner from the main part of my room. The high vent is tucked in an alcove behind and above my refridgerator and the low one is on the hallway wall next to the alcove.

I barely hear anything now, and I'm not completely sealed up yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the theater is going to end up sharing the wall with the utility room I will end up just making it a double wall.

Hvac is an area where I am really limited on knowledge. When they installed the hvac I did have them stub off 2 feeds off the main trunk line for this area, was planning on having both of the come out at one end of the room from the ceiling and then having a return line from low in the wall on the opposite side. I am planning on using the flexible ducting along with sound deading matting on the rigid trunk lines themselves to help cut down on noise coming through the hvac.

As far as having another wall between the theater and the stairs not sure how I could work that, but it sounds as though it might be something to look into.

Right now I am to the point on finishing the other side of the basement that I would really like to put the wall up at the bottom of the stairs. I have the drywall all finished up to the stairs and would like to be able to finish up the small area at the bottom of the stairs so I can finish the painting and flooring in this area. Once this is done I can move to working on the theater side.

so give me some ideas on how to divide this space up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts