AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need digital CRT tv recommendation?

Hello I am looking for a 13 and a 20 to 27 CRT TV with digital tuner.

So far the only new CRT TVs with a digital tuner I can find are the low quality sets like Wal-Mart currently stocks.

If all the good CRT sets are no longer available new, what used sets should I be looking for?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron350 /forum/post/15564732

If all the good CRT sets are no longer available new, what used sets should I be looking for?

Sony or Panasonic. Best combination of picture quality + build quality.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Here's some Sonys: Sony KD-30/34XBR960, KD-30/34/36XS955 (36 is 4:3 fine pitch, others are 16:9 fine pitch.) 34XBR970, 34HD1 not fine pitch. All other Sonys as far as I know require external digital HD tuner (Samsung makes one) or Cable/Satellite box for HD signal.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron350 /forum/post/15564732

Need digital CRT tv recommendation?

Hello I am looking for a 13 and a 20 to 27 CRT TV with digital tuner.

So far the only new CRT TVs with a digital tuner I can find are the low quality sets like Wal-Mart currently stocks.

At the size you're looking for you should really be on the look out for super cheap new LCDs with built in tuners. Most CRTs preceded the digital age so though they're out there, they are for larger HD sets (like the ones that jdre listed off). Those can be found for as cheap ad $150 on craigslist but that takes time and a seller willing to negotiate.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my $150 CC HDTV, but if you're looking for a simple cheap way to get an ATSC ready TV then I would head over to Sam's Club and get ( http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...759&pCatg=5883 ) or just keep an eye on the paper for the next big going out of business sale because for just two or three times the price of a crappy CRT you're going to buy you could get an OK 720p flat panel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jdre and Tno Thanks for the help.

I wish I could buy a LCD set but my eyes will not let me. After looking at any LCD display for more than a few minutes I have a bad eye strain headache.

Two years ago I started to buy a Samsung TX-S2783 but decided to wait for the 2008 model but it never came. At the time B.Buy also had a 32-inch Sony CRT HDTV that had a much better picture but I do not have the room for a 32.

I was hoping Sony or Panasonic had made a 2008 22 or 24 CRT HDTV with a digital tuner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts