AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post but long time reader,

I'm in the process of putting together another HTsys and I'm in need of a little direction and yes personal opinions on what to do for a sub. Here's a little about myself and what I'm looking for.

I have been playing bass guitar for 25 years. As you can imagine I'm very passionate about low frequencies and find great joy in chest rocking, rib rattling lows and equilibrium unbalancing LFE. I've worked as a finish and trim carpenter for 15 years and have the skill set and tools needed for a DIY if it fits my budget and gives me the results Im hoping for. At first this sub will be used on the second floor with a very open and complicated design setup. It flows from the seated listening area at one end (2200cu.ft.), a dormer 6'd x 12'w off of the main flow directly into an ajoining area (1100cu.ft.) with an open stairwell leading downstairs. This area has cathedral cielings with the peak at 8.5ft falling to varying hieghts along the parimeter of the room/s. The peak runs perpendicular to the viewing/listening area.

What I'm asking of you guys is what would you do in this situation with a $700 budget. Do I go with a pre-fab sub like Epik, HSU, SVS, maybe even Lava or do I/can I build something that gets me below 20hz? This sub will stay with me for a while and will be moved to larger more dedicated rooms in the future. I also will most definitely add to this sub sooner or later. This sub will be used for music but primarily for HT. So there you have it. I look forward to hearing from you all and if I missed anything that you may need ask away.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so you feel it IS possible to manufacture a sub for $700 that will get me LFE that will perform better than the above pre-fab brands? I would love to have sustained 100+ db's that dont start rolling off around @30-24hz.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by By0T0xN69
Ok, so you feel it IS possible to manufacture a sub for $700 that will get me LFE that will perform better than the above pre-fab brands? I would love to have sustained 100+ db's that dont start rolling off around @30-24hz.
That is pretty much what I'm saying, but it will take some effort in addition to the cost of raw materials. First, it takes some thinking about putting together the right combination of driver, box, and amp. Then it takes certain skills in actually building the thing. Then, if appearances count, it means some sort of finish on the outside of the box and possible a grill. Then after all that, you might need eq to optimize the frequency response.

By the way, if you do lean in the direction of DIY, I will soon be looking to sell a pair of nice 10" TC drivers. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The right combo of parts is what I'm mostly clueless about. I do have a working rack mountable power amp out in the garage collecting dust. I think it's 800w x 2 @ either 4 or 8ohms???, bridgable @1600w. I have the tools and skill needed. Time will be an issue, there is always something that needs to be done. So this build could take a while to complete.

Most of the time I have enough extra materials left over from jobs sitting in the garage/shop to fabricate a couple of cabs. 3/4 MDF, 3/4" multi lam's(cherry, oak, sanded pine and birch veneers). Soild hardwood 3/4"stock in varying widths and lengths. Some prefinished some not. Could always use the HPLV to paint the MDF and also to apply the clear top coat. So apperance is covered. Grill could be a mute point if I down fire or install a razor wire buffer zone to keep unwanted pest away.

So I suppose my biggest hurdle is deciding on which parts will get me the results I'm aiming for along with the proper specs for the enclosure. Oh, and time. So where do I start? Could you give me a push in the right direction? I guess you already have to a degree. Probably should take this discussion over to DIY.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts