AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good place on the Net to use as a price match with Sears for the JVC version of the Dish 6000 receiver? The best I've found thus far is $479.99 from homeaudiodirect.net. I may be ordering it tomorrow, but I was told I have 30 days to price match from the purchase date.

Does anyone know if Sears will accept the regular Dish 6000 as a pricematch or if it has to be the JVC model (or will it likely matter?).

In any case, I'm hopefully looking at getting the HDTV receiver soon to use with my Panasonic HDTV. I'm curious, though, how does one deal with recording/time-shifting using the 6000 receiver? Can it output the S-Video or RCA at the same time as the HDTV signal? If not, how can you record any TV shows using it? I'm thinking of getting a SVHS VCR (to transfer my HI8 videos and for better TV recording), but it would suck if it was useless because it can't output a usable signal for recording at the same time. I'm guessing the same problem would apply to a TIVO type unit as well, though. How does this work using this receiver (or does it?) Would you have to switch the outputs to do it and only record when you're not watching?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think _any_ HD models (Dish or DirecTV) can output an S-Video or composite signal at the same time the HD output is 'on'. The 6000 does let you specify which video output will be used for the recording. JVC recorders do a nice job of recording S-VHS on VHS tapes -- note that you set up the VCR to use either the S-Video input or the composite input when recording.

I have a PVR501 that I use for most of my Dish time-shifting, but here's a slightly simplified version of how I have the VCR set up:

Dish receivers have two sets of audio + composite video (a/v) outputs and one s-video output. One set of a/v, the s-video, and the digital audio goes to my tuner/amplifier. The remaining set of a/v goes to a RadioShack switchbox that lets me select whether the VCR "line in" jacks record from the amplifier or a satellite receiver. Normally this is set to one of the satellite receivers, but the option remains to record a long radio program, DVD, etc., onto a videotape.

Note that this setup lets me record satellite to VCR thru the a/v connection with the tuner/amp shut off. If I want to record at full s-video resolution, I need to have the tuner/amp turned on and switch the internal VCR setup to record the s-video signal. The setup I have is best for *watching* the 'best' (component HD or s-video) signal and recording the 'adequate' (a/v) signal.

I mentioned that the digital audio outputs go to the tuner/amp, too, so there are actually a couple of unnecessary connections.

I got my Dish gear from allsat.com -- good prices and prompt delivery.

...Neil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Sears agreed to price match (found one for $398), but they said they wouldn't include the 2nd free receiver (I'm pretty sure that's a Dish Network special this month and not costing Sears anything) and they wouldn't install it for free any longer. This is because the $398 kit was a self-install kit and didn't seem to come with a 2nd receiver. I have been unable to locate ANY deals thus far on the Net that include free installation with a HDTV receiver and a free 2nd box. Most sites I've been to are hopelessly out of date and the few that aren't don't even mention any free 2nd room receiver or installation options for anything but non-HDTV receivers.

Basically, by the time I would add installation back in ($200) and the 2nd room receiver ($99), I'm right back up to the RETAIL that Sears is charging ($699). That's ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I try to avoid paying retail for anything. Geeze, I ought to be able to get some kind of discount ($500 installed would be reasonable, IMO). Too bad Best Buy doesn't carry Dish Network. They'd probably have a more reasonable deal. And none of that includes the outdoor antenna I'd need either.

I wouldn't mind paying $700 if there were more HDTV stations. That doesn't even include the OTA tuner module. Chopped movies on HBO and sparse programming on Showtime doesn't cut it for that kind of money. Plus there's the regular monthly charge (it would be around $50 a month for Showtime/HBO plus the Top 100 channel thing). You'd think they'd push those receivers a little harder to get those monthly rates. I guess they do for non-HDTV setups (generally free with 1 year subscriptions).

The sad thing is just up the road, there is Warner Digital Cable and they offer all the HDTV stations on it and it's more or less FREE. I'm stuck with a local cable company that was supposed to go digital in March, but is apparently have financial problems now so who knows if we'll ever see it or if it will carry HDTV even if it does appear.

Are there any OTA tuner only type boxes? I'm more interested in watching the Cleveland OTA channels than I am HBO and Showtime since I have so many DVDs (and HBO P&S the 2.35:1 ones).

·
Registered
505 Posts
I purchased a 6023 system with single 6000 unit from sears on a $398 price match three months ago. I then called Dish and said that I had purchased a system from Sears and wanted my free install. They said install was for reciever plus a Dish 500 ant (not the second dish) and would have to charge me ~$69 for the second ant. I said ok, and they did the install for ~$69 total cost. My net for a 6023 installed was ~$475 minus the promotional Dish discount of $199 thus a net out of pocket $275 installed. My best guess is that Dish has no idea what you paid Sears, etc. They just know what their current promotions are (e.g. free install and $199 rebate) and are ready to proceed.

YMMV

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.