Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Hopefully one of you drywall/finishing experts can answer my questions.

I had my drywall and finishing work completed last weekend in my HT and the rest of my basement, and want to do some cleanup before I start painting. I can see two potential problems that I wanted to seek out some advice on:

1 - There is a lot of dust sticking to the wall. What is the best way to get this off? I was figuring that I would just use my shopvac to suck it off the walls. Anyone have a faster method? Perhaps a damp towell?

2 - There are globs of dried mud stuck to the floor in several locations. Any ideas how to get these up without resorting to crawling around on the floor with a spackle knife scraping them up?

3 - Like the spackle globs, the floor is covered with a dried layer of dust that doesn't seem to want to come up with the shop-vac. Any ideas? Should I just mop the floor?

Thanks for any help you can give -

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Spike,

I'll tell you what I do.

I take a clean dry rag and wipe down the walls and ceiling, periodically shaking the rag outside to get the dust off. This is still a fairly dusty proposition.....wear a dust mask. Sweep and vacuum the floor. Then I'll take a fresh rag (several) and dampen it - not very wet at all - you don't want to wet sand it. Wipe every thing down again.......lightly. I never had a problem doing it this way. I tried a shop vac before......you have to be careful not to gouge up the mudded areas - I still would go back over it with the damp rag.

If it's a concrete floor you can use one of those ice scrapers on a pole. If it's plywood you should be a bit more careful. Once you got all of the loose dust up I would mop it - rinse mop out periodically, you don't want to just spread it around.

Good luck,

Greg

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I used a Swiffer mop for the dust on the walls. The tinited primer and 3 coats of paint took care of anything missed. For the floor, I got out a flat edged shovel and went to work. My floor was OSB and it held up fine. I didn't need it squeaky clean. I was adding 2 more layers of subflooring over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.