AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everything has been going great for the last few months and Ive spent many hours watching movies with my ECP 3100. There was a vertical bar on the screen at 1/3 of the way from left to right. I saw there was a mod for the waveform board posted on the board and decided to do it. I had tried getting a new cable, but it didnt help.

This is what it looked like (I enhanced the picture to make it a little more obvious)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I searched for a fix for the bar and came across this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=ECP I decided to try that mod. My card was the 05P, so I clipped the jumper from W4 and soldered it onto W5. I plugged the card back in and ran it. It didnt fix the bar or make any difference that I could notice (I had been watching movies on it for 6months prior to the mod).

Tonight I watched a few movies in a row: Boat Trip, Sinbad, Radio, and I was watching Out of Time when all of a sudden it started doing doing weird things. A horizontal bar just flickered solid black from one end to the other... here is a pic

My question is more of a 'did I cause that?' or should I reverse the mod, or is something else causing the horizontal bar?

Thank you for any input

Daniel

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more post just for additional info. I did the mod probably 3 weeks ago and I did have a 5 movie night recently with no events. When it started doing that today I just turned the projector off and waited like 3 minutes, then turned it back on... it was fine for about 20 minutes and started to flicker again. I repeated the process and it did the same thing. The movie was over now, so I just shut her down for the night. When it flickers, its only that bar thats less that 10" thick.. in that pic it runs through Denzel's face.

Oh, the vertical bar I was trying to get rid of can really only be seen in black areas. I mean it appears a few shades lighter on the gray scale, but only on a pitch black area. When the movie is playing you never notice it unless its a dark scene, so it bugs me. I stare at it with frustration.

I'll also include a pic of the board in this post... I dont know if it matters though.

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I would suspect the mod. Can you double check it to make sure you wired it up right and didn't short to anything near by?

Cary

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! its the mod creator himself! Thanks for responding
Well, I dont know if it makes a difference, but Ive used the projector at least 3 days a week since the mod with no issues until tonight. Also, I used silver solder, dont know if that makes a difference, but it was what was handy. Here is a close up of the mod. I dont notice any burned spots or other issues on the front or back of the board.

Edit: When I soldered it, I just clipped the W4 connection, bent the jumper and soldered a piece from a capacitor then soldered them together. I didnt want to risk ruining the board with my inexperience on electrical stuff...

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Hi Daniel, it' hard to tell, but it looks like the jumper now connects the left "hole" of jumper W5 to the right "hole" of W4. The jumper should be totally removed from W4 and installed into W5. (Of course you can just cut W4 and add a new wire across W5).

I'll grab an 05P board today and take a look at it.

Cary

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Not that it's needed, but I agree with Cary. It does look like it "connects" the left of W5 with the rigth of W4.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
looks like I didnt follow the directions too well. You guys are right, I clipped one end and just patched it to the W5. I guess when I read it I thought it meant to just move that one end from W4 to W5... my bad.

Thanks for the help, here is the new pic. I clipped it and put it where it should be this time. I'll put it in the projector and check it out this afternoon. Its bedtime for me (I work nights), so I'll give an update later.

Once again, thanks guys!

Daniel

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
No, no, no...you can't do a mod and then check it later. You must spend the next 5 hours watching movies to make sure it works :D

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Hahahaha!!! Jay is absolutely right! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to bed at 3 or 4am because I started something at 9:30.....

Cary

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Until I can look at an 05P I can't be sure, but I suspect that the left side of those jumpers (W4 and W5) are connected together on the PCB with a trace (look at the schematics contained in the thread linked above and you'll see that the jumpers connect together at one end). That said, you're mistake probably left the board exactly the way it was before modding so it's possible that the horizontal strip problem is something entirely different.

Cary

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man... you guys sure do run a tight ship. :) I just needed a 6hr nap after a 19hr day, thats all.

Well, I just put in Underworld and the vertical line is GONE :D Im seriously stoked about that. I may watch a couple movies in a row tonight to make sure everything is cool, but I'm pretty sure the mod is correct now.

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it ;)

Daniel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.