AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to set up my desktop for HDTV. I have a PC and a cable modem. Here's what I would like to be able to do:

1. Watch HDTV OTA - I already have an antenna that will give good signal strength.

2. Watch HDTV from cable: I have TWC and their set-top for HD is currently the 3250HD from Scientific Atlanta. Note that the DVI port is not active on this box.

3. Record HDTV from OTA and from cable (? if possible from cable)

4. Capture HDTV screen shots from OTA and cable (again, ? if possible from cable)

I am planning on buying a new monitor, and don't currently have any HD capability on the desktop, so I'm not tied down to any particular HD tuner card, monitor or recorder. I'd prefer a monitor in the 17-21 inch range.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Marty
http://hdtvtwincities.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
(Call me a party pooper, but you'd probably get better answers in the HTPC forum hereon avs forums)

But, to quickly answer:

Capturing (and subsequent recording to PC hard drive) of any OTA and DirecTV SDTV signals can be accomplished by throwing the signals into a video capture card (of which many exist but you should pick one aligned with compatibility and thusly features of Descaler) and then simply PVR'ing them to your hard drive with your freeware/shareware/costware PVR of choice.

Capturing (and subsequent recording to PC hard drive) of any OTA HDTV or DirecTV HDTV signals isn't as easy.

OTA HDTV Signals can be tuned in with an off-the-shelf HDTV card for the PC. There are about 5 known performers in this category, and again, the HTPC forums run the lists up and down pretty much daily. There's a SUPERIOR HDTV Tuner Card for the PC thread (with comparisons) - I'll try to find and place bookmark here.

DirecTV HDTV - I'm the in same boat as you.

Problem is - to record HDTV from DirecTV you need access to the digital HD transport stream from inside the circuitry of the STB. In this case, you're extremely out of luck. Many lawyers later we still don't have this functionality. The best signals you'll get are SVideo and RGB. No y/pr/pb here fella.

As a last option, you could record a properly formatted stream to DVHS (or computer). But, again, I don't know of any (please correct me mods/experts) STB that has either a DVI or Firewire port (that you could then tap into with your HTPC and or digital tape deck that would record/capture). Many are being TALKED about, but we still don't have one.

As a last (and extremely pricey) resort, you may venture to www.169time.com and attempt to put sanity aside for a moment and purchase their modded RCA DTV100 STB's. Last check (for a DirecTV model) I saw the pricing at ~$1,500.

This will allow you to record HDTV from DirecTV directly to the DVHS deck (not supplied, ouch again on Price) or alternatively to a PC HDD. Dunno how that looks -- but I might consider this is all else fails.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.