AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I would like to get some serious expert advice from much more knowledgeable audiophiles please.

I am very much a novice and have been out of the loop for over a decade now, so I am almost totally lost on all the new styles and features of all this new equipment available these days.

My current setup, which is all still new in the boxes, which I purchased over the holidays, and have not even hooked the system up at this point.

I wanted the audiophiles advice if this is a good planned setup for my objective goal in this application.

First and foremost my main goal is to setup the best possible system for MUSIC. I'm not intending on using this for home theater application,but maybe 10% of the time. My goal is 90% music and the best sound quality for that use. The quality of the music is the most important, since I am a novice drummer as well and that is why I would like a setup with both quality (first and foremost) and power of sound since I will be playing my drums along with the music.

Here is what I have on hand now to choose from. I have a Yamaha RX-V677 (90 watt per channel rating), a Yamaha RX-V673 (90 watt per channel rating) and a Sony STR-DH550 5.2 145 watt per channel rating. In speakers I have 6 JBL ES80's (400 watt max) and 2 Yamaha YST-SW216 10" powered subs (rated at 100 watts). I have many other bookshelf and a couple of centers, but those only to be used if and when I use for actual home theater applications. I have the extra pair of JBL ES80's, since both Yamaha receivers has a 2nd zone feature and could use those for that, or I have other speakers as well, like a pair of Infinity Primus floor standing, or use book shelve style or even have atrium outdoor speakers is I decide to go that route.

So you can see I already have on hand many choices, but I need expert advice of the best items to pick to achieve my main goal for music (basically 4 of the floor standing speakers and the 2 subs).

So the main question will be which receiver should I use for this, or should I sell all this and get a different receiver with more watts per channel to power this for music. I know the Yamahas only have 90 watts per channel and I picked up the Sony simply because I got it very cheap (still brand new) but it has 145 watts per channel. I have read, to really push these 400 watt JBL's, the more power the better for best sound reproduction for playing music. The quality of the music is extremely important to me, I like it very loud, but also crystal clear. I can not spend top end dollars right now (like the higher end $1K + receivers, but I could go up to about $1K on a receiver and simply sell these brand new ones I already have. Same goes for the speakers if need be, because I have to get rid of several of those anyway since I went nuts buying all the sale items over the holidays. So changing out what I have for something better to achieve my objective is also open within reason.

And can you advise me on the best way to setup the receiver for 4 floor speakers as mains, because I noticed these modern receivers do not have the "A"/"B" selection for speakers like they had on the older models, where you could simply hook up 4 mains (A/B) and run only those 4 mains.

I hope this is not too long, but wanted to list as much information for you experts to get a better understanding with what I currently have to work with.

Thank you very much in advance. I always say, when in doubt, ask an expert. :) In return, if I can give any advice regarding computer and network setups ( I have been a computer systems and network engineer for almost 25 years) I will gladly share that type of information to help. I have always loved music, but must admit, I am at best a novice and have very little knowledge in setting up the best configurations with all these new systems and features.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
So the main question will be which receiver should I use for this, or should I sell all this and get a different receiver with more watts per channel to power this for music. I know the Yamahas only have 90 watts per channel and I picked up the Sony simply because I got it very cheap (still brand new) but it has 145 watts per channel.
The power numbers you posted for the Yamaha and Sony are not rated the same.

The two Yamaha receivers are rated: 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven That two channels, 8 ohm across the full music spectrum.

The Sony is rated 6Ohms, 1kHz, 1ch driven : 145 W That's one speaker at one frequency at 6 ohms. Totally misleading specs but it worked because it got you to believe the Sony is more powerful and you purchased it.

Now look at this other rating for the Sony. 6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven : 90 W + 90 W / (0.09%) Now it is down to 90W like the Yamaha but at 6 ohms instead of 8 ohms. If it were to be rated at 8 ohms the power number would drop to 75W or 80W which means it is less powerful than the two Yamahas.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
And can you advise me on the best way to setup the receiver for 4 floor speakers as mains, because I noticed these modern receivers do not have the "A"/"B" selection for speakers like they had on the older models, where you could simply hook up 4 mains (A/B) and run only those 4 mains.
If you really want A/B speaker selection then buy a different receiver that gives you that option.
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...theater-receiver-3d-ready-hdmi-airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...0w-x7-networking-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and info so far. But I'm still confused on what would be the best setup for music, either with what I have already, or going with something else.

Since I am 90% after music application alone, my thinking was basically 4 main larger speakers and two subs. I have the JBL ES80's I could use at the 4 mains, but how to hook them up without the A/B feature of many of the older model receivers. But these new receivers do not seem to have the A/B option anymore (at least in this lower end ranges of for the cost).

So for a music style setup, what would you all recommend either with using what I already have on hand, or if I need to sell what I have (its all brand new in the boxes) and go with a different configuration altogether. My concern with the new AVR's, if I was to hook up, for example, the two front mains and go "2 channel", could I use the "rear speaker" ports to get the 4 mains and with the same sound? I'm thinking that if I go that route, the receiver will only allocate what is processed as "rear speaker" sound, instead of the full range as the two front mains? Are their other settings in these new AVR's to change the configuration for what I am wanting to do?

Again, thanks very much and sorry if this seems to be a "noob" question. I fully admit I am way off the current curve to all the AVR systems these days...that's why I am asking you experts. All the new features on all these news AVR's is kind of lie an old mechanic who was familiar with working on the old cars from the 60's and now trying to figure out what all the gadgets and features are on the modern computer system cars.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts