AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Sony DG900 AVR, 56" DLP, media extenders and PS3 on my current system. I just purchased a nice cabinet from costco and I have my AVR inside one side of the cabinet, which has a shelf that has a metal mesh floor for ventilation and a glass door on the front. I rather not have to open the glass door everytime I use my entertainment center, so I'm looking into cooling methods. Can anyone recommend a cheapish solution to adding cooling/fans that I can turn on/off with the AVR?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Cut some holes, buy a fan and plug it into your switched output.

Seriously, only you know your specific layout and what would work. SEARCH the forum, there are many proposed solutions that have been bantered about.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
As said, there are a couple different ways. The cheaper option is to plug them into the receiver so they turn on whenever the receiver is on. The more cautious, but more expensive way is to get some with a thermal sensor of some type that turn on whenever the cabinet gets warm.

It can be as simple as buying a couple of 12V computer fans wired to a wall wart AC/DC transformer that you pick up at Radio Shack and plug into the switched outlet on the receiver. You can even get the hoopty ones that light up when they are on if you want to have a quick way of knowing your cabinet cooling system is running. Although computer muffin fans are pretty common for people to use, there are a lot of other options to get air moving through an enclosure, if you think they wouldn't work.

As mentioned, you need to have openings for air to come in as well as go out. But you don't have to have the fans at the top, they can be just as effective (actually the fans themselves will be even more efficient) if they are at the bottom/inlet. But you should pick their placement based on how it works best for your setup.

Without some decent pictures to see the cabinet the component layout inside and where it will sit in the room, we can't really give you anything better.

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.