Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need to make a decision asap. Which speaker do you prefer, the swan diva 2.1's or the aperion audios? Both would be set up in a 5.1 arrangement. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Curtis.

Believe me, I am an idiot. Here's why: I love the aperions, so why am I considering the diva 2.1's? Well, I'll tell you that sound quality has nothing to do with it. My wife and I couldnt decide on the color, I wanted cherry wood, she wanted black. We bought a new house and it should be completed within 2 months. The problem is the color. She does not like the cherry finish. She thinks its too light and wants a darker colored speaker to match the furniture. I've always loved the design of the swan diva's, with the tweeter on top. The rosewood color would match better with our decor and my wife would be happier. I am not an audiophile by nature and just buy things on reviews. I know this sounds crazy. Hell, it sounds crazy to me:) But, I must please the wifey:) And afterall, I love the looks of the diva. I had no idea they still existed because I read about their demise on the av123 site. When I searched Audiogon, I found an ad that stated that a company in Reno was the sole distributer. Thus my predicament. If there are any diva fans, particularily the 2.1 model, I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus330I
I am not an audiophile by nature and just buy things on reviews.
Then buy the Divas. The reviews have been good, they'll match your color scheme, and you'll please your wife. All positives.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Hey I liked Rockets. Wife agreed the wood is beautiful but said rosewood clashed with her country red and black decor. I'm very happy with my black Ascend Acoustics 170's.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Unless the new distributors have changed the stain color, the Rosewood cabinet on the Divas is actually more of a medium Oak rather than the reds you normally associate with Rosewood.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Friends:

A few points of clarification:

-The Swans (Diva) finish is unchanged. Still original rosewood, still that deep burgundy with black and brown accents. We have not yet had any cosmetic mismatches with our earlier shipments.

-All models are still available, and yes, there are some incentives at Audiogon as someone has mentioned. (I'm unclear of how to present my manufacturer contact info here at AVS, so you can reach me at Audiogon too.) We also have the new 5.2 which is doing well.

Please PM me if I can be of further help.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting observation. Would someone happen to have a pic of them in their house? I've seen the pics of them online, but would prefer a picture at a home setting. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
See how this looks to you. It does look a little redder in the picture. The entertainment center in the background is light oak colored for reference.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, they do look like kind of a medium to dark oak in color. I wonder if the current swans are darker. I was interested in the 2.1's btw. I wonder how the larger swans compare to the smaller 2.1's in finish. Thanks for the pic rt297.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus330I
Ahh, they do look like kind of a medium to dark oak in color. I wonder if the current swans are darker. I was interested in the 2.1's btw. I wonder how the larger swans compare to the smaller 2.1's in finish. Thanks for the pic rt297.
sa-dono brought a pair of 2.1s over to my place once for a comparison and i'd have to say they look pretty much like the picture below...

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...der/SW2.1.html

for $399, these are one of the best values in monitor speakers out there right now. they look great and sound great for the price...these are far from being the best speakers available, but since you mentioned that you're not an audiophile, they should be right up your alley...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
My 2.1's have the identical finish that the picture of the 6.1's have.

·
Registered
333 Posts
To make things as clear as possible, the finish on the Swans changed from a lighter "rosewood" to a darker, redder rosewood about a year ago. I have some from the last production run sold by AV123 (the darker ones), and they look to me much more like the "Rocket rosewood" than the pictures I've seen posted here. Are they, in fact, identical to the "Rocket rosewood"? Not sure. But they look very similar.

BTW, have there been any changes of any kind to the Swans since being taken over by the new distributor? Finish, for one, but more importantly in construction, crossovers, etc.?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Malloy
To make things as clear as possible, the finish on the Swans changed from a lighter "rosewood" to a darker, redder rosewood about a year ago. I have some from the last production run sold by AV123 (the darker ones), and they look to me much more like the "Rocket rosewood" than the pictures I've seen posted here. Are they, in fact, identical to the "Rocket rosewood"? Not sure. But they look very similar.

BTW, have there been any changes of any kind to the Swans since being taken over by the new distributor? Finish, for one, but more importantly in construction, crossovers, etc.?
I don't think he'll mind my jumping in here, but I just received a message from Mark Schifter concerning his experiences with the two finishes in question. I look forward to Mark's input shortly.

It seems that Swans did at one time offer a second finish (help me here, Mark) but are now again being built in the exceptional original "diva rosewood" veneers and finishes. To repeat: There have been no finish changes from the original Swans product following our acquiring the distributorship early this year.

Current Swans (aka "Diva") models - specifically the 2.1 thru 6.1 plus matching surrounds, centers, and subs - are, as research indicates, true to the original product from as far back as 2000 (incidentally, when I first got involved with the project myself.) There have been no changes to internal build, finish, electronics, drivers, or anything that we can determine.

At TAI, we're again working closely with Swans to ensure quality, as well as exploring new additions to the line for the future. Meanwhile, Swans is again doing very well and we thank all of you most sincerely for your kind and enthusiastic patronage.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Malloy
Yes...originally the Diva had more of an oak color...but it later switched to the darker rosewood. This rosewood is still slightly different than the rosewood used on the Rocket's. Just some info from someone who owns or has seen all of the different finishes...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Lane
I don't think he'll mind my jumping in here, but I just received a message from Mark Schifter concerning his experiences with the two finishes in question. I look forward to Mark's input shortly.

It seems that Swans did at one time offer a second finish (help me here, Mark) but are now again being built in the exceptional original "diva rosewood" veneers and finishes. To repeat: There have been no finish changes from the original Swans product following our acquiring the distributorship early this year.

Current Swans (aka "Diva") models - specifically the 2.1 thru 6.1 plus matching surrounds, centers, and subs - are, as research indicates, true to the original product from as far back as 2000 (incidentally, when I first got involved with the project myself.) There have been no changes to internal build, finish, electronics, drivers, or anything that we can determine.

At TAI, we're again working closely with Swans to ensure quality, as well as exploring new additions to the line for the future. Meanwhile, Swans is again doing very well and we thank all of you most sincerely for your kind and enthusiastic patronage.
Good Evening...

When I saw this thread pop up I e-mailed Jon and asked his permission if I could offer a reply... Jon came right back and agreed... so here's the skinny...

The first several containers of DIVA that arrived in the USA were in fact a very richly coloured "Rosewood Red"... these were amazingly beautiful... These cabinets were made in a splendid factory in Pan Yu City, PRC... This factory makes some of the finest cabinets in the world... and for many of the brands you all have heard of (selling for the REALLY big bucks)...

Later... Hi Vi turned to making these cabinets themselves. These were also quite beautiful... but noticeably lighter in colour... more of a medium brown-red... but with lots of beautiful black "veins"... They were warmly received by our customers...

By the time av*** was winding down it's business with Swan's the factory has done a VERY smart thing and went back to the shop I mentioned above for production cabinets... We had a few containers near the end that had these magnificent cabinets... Frankly... these were the best we had seen...

The Swan's DIVA Jon and his partners are marketing today are in fact from this very same vendor... and they are STUNNING... How do I know this... well... I was in said factory just a few weeks ago and I actually inspected several of these cabinets for perfect quality (I know... sounds a bit crazy... but I still care deeply for DIVA... and for my friend Jon Lane)...

I can assure everyone that these speakers are beautiful in every respect... and the finish is just sensational... I'm happy for Jon... and I'm happy for all of you that might want to consider these fine speakers...

Swan's is very lucky to have Jon on their team... as he was also our "secret weapon" back then... and to their credit... Swan's reacted to our needs back in those days... We had some fun Mr. Lane... and you are sorely missed over here... :)

I hope this bit of restored history helps...

Wishing all of you all the very best...

mls

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.