AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this PN51D6500, but i did not get it yet. They said probably tomorrow (2011-08-12)

I've been reading bad problems with many 2011 Plasma about the brightness pops or fluctuation and that is something that would drive me crazy.

So should i take the chance with this Samsung and maybe it'll be without problems...?

Or should i just go cancel the deal and take another one (maybe LG?) Because once i buy this TV, i cannot return it or exchange it because this is my second exchange (bought the LE830 from Sharp at first)

Thx in advance!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's really tough to just say you made a mistake going with this Samsung model. However, I will say that your PN51D6500 will almost surely have brightness pops. The variance doesn't seem to be some have it, some don't. It's more like some people just don't notice them-though I'm also sure that variance in manufacturing can probably produce panels that may exhibit the pops more than others.

I bought the 59 incher of the same model you're getting and I didn't even see a single brightness pop/fluctuation for the first two or three days. Once I saw them, though, I found myself looking for them more and more instead of just watching content. All I can say is good luck, man. It's a really nice tv aside from the brightness pop issue.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse /forum/post/20812085

Panasonic's have a fix for their fluctuations?.... Since when?

Since this week. People are getting an SD card update or A-board replacement to fix the problem. The August produced sets have the fix installed. It makes the fluctuation very smooth and not noticeable for the most part. So far it's in USA sets only but CA and UK are still waiting...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! /forum/post/20812302

So long as you're not in Canada eh?

yep i'm in Canada !

I'm considering going with the LG Plasma 50PZ550 since i can't find any wrong review with it.

Even if the Samsung as the best picture in the world, i know that Brightness pop will kill me inside...

So any Brightness fluctuation on the LG set ?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony /forum/post/20812029

However, I will say that your PN51D6500 will almost surely have brightness pops. The variance doesn't seem to be some have it, some don't. It's more like some people just don't notice them-though I'm also sure that variance in manufacturing can probably produce panels that may exhibit the pops more than others.

the Mrs. & I must be half blind then because we have yet to see any brightness pops on my 59d6500 after almost 1 month of viewing, no offense to anyone but sometimes reading these threads I wonder how many people are to busy watching the TV itself for problems instead of enjoying the content of the programs we bought these sets to watch

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 /forum/post/20812759

the Mrs. & I must be half blind then because we have yet to see any brightness pops on my 59d6500 after almost 1 month of viewing, no offense to anyone but sometimes reading these threads I wonder how many people are to busy watching the TV itself for problems instead of enjoying the content of the programs we bought these sets to watch

No offense taken. I think you might be correct that some people look for problems. After all, this is an enthusiast site, where the majority of people are going to nit-pick to death and be highly discerning. However, I certainly wasn't looking to find problems with mine. Hell, I bought the thing full well knowing that I was very likely to see brightness pops. I didn't notice any for the first few days and thought I had somehow hit the jackpot. All I'm saying is that once I saw them, I couldn't unsee them. They either started occurring after a while, or I just saw them easier. I also didn't notice any buzzing sound coming from the tv at all for almost a week, and then it seemed to become louder and louder.

The buzz is something I could have lived with. The pops were not. I have no doubt that there are panel variances, where some might show them more, but all I can tell you is what I personally experienced. I hope you don't really believe I would willingly shell out 1700 bucks to have a tv shipped to me only so I could sit and look for problems with it, and then have to go through the hassle of returning it. This is the first time I have ever returned a tv, actually.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:

Agree. And I have never seen brightness fluctuations on my 2011 Panny plasma. I too just sit back and enjoy movies amd TV without scrutinizing PQ.

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:

It's there, you just haven't looked for it properly: Turn off all the lights in your viewing room, & hold a camera lens up to your dominant eye. Then have your wife wave her hand up & down real fast right in front of your face while viewing high contrast content. You'll see it.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! /forum/post/20813803

It's there, you just haven't looked for it properly: Turn off all the lights in your viewing room, & hold a camera lens up to your dominant eye. Then have your wife wave her hand up & down real fast right in front of your face while viewing high contrast content. You'll see it.

And that's how you watch TV? Why would anyone want to look for this is beyond me. Just enjoy your movie.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon!

Lol, I am not sure if you are joking or serious. If you have to do all that to notice the problem, then I just have to laugh.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would appear he was being facetious. Why anyone would actually do that is beyond me. I certainly didn't need to go to any great length to see brightness pops-a-plenty on mine, though. They were about as subtle as a hammer to the face.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well "F" Samsung, i bought the 50PZ550 and it was a lot cheaper than the previous model i got, so i'm paying way less now.

I'm getting the set Tuesday, can't wait !

Thx for the warning ! I will stay away from the Samsung "D" serie for a long time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.