AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need projector for powerpoint/movies for church. Powerpoint is 10-12 feet on a white wall with ambient light, movies very dark no windows, will put on a cart about waist high and play DVD from laptop about 15 feet max again on a white painted wall. Also want a manual zoom. We have a Benq 6100 now, need another, and would like something better if the money is enough.

Budget: $700

XGA 1024x768

1500-2000+ lumens

Contrast 1500:1 or greater

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Epson HC700 tries to be both a projector for movies & for presentations. I'm not sure you can get it for $700, but look at the sponsors above & you can get it for 749 with free shipping. Limited zoom capabilities.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad139 /forum/post/15571730

The Epson HC700 tries to be both a projector for movies & for presentations. I'm not sure you can get it for $700, but look at the sponsors above & you can get it for 749 with free shipping. Limited zoom capabilities.

The Epson HC700 has too many compromises to be worthwhile except maybe for a kids gamer machine.

There are several models meeting specifications better than the HC700 for less money. As was suggested, a quick feature search on Projectorcentral.com will show those models.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This looks like the same product as the HC700 that I suggested, perhaps re-badged a little to suit a different Epson target audience.

If there are better products than the HC700 for you, then this is probably not the best PJ for you either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15572236

The Epson HC700 has too many compromises to be worthwhile except maybe for a kids gamer machine.

There are several models meeting specifications better than the HC700 for less money. As was suggested, a quick feature search on Projectorcentral.com will show those models.

I don't see any that would be better than the HC700 or the similar W6 by Epson. Maybe I'm using the wrong parameters?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd /forum/post/15573314

I don't see any that would be better than the HC700 or the similar W6 by Epson. Maybe I'm using the wrong parameters?

The Epson HC700 despite being an LCD PJ has no lens shift.

You said you needed 1024x768.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15573788

The Epson HC700 despite being an LCD PJ has no lens shift.

You said you needed 1024x768.

Yeah, I did. I should have said, I want the best PJ that $700 will buy!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The best that will work in your church setting you mean.

That's different than the best PJ $700 will buy.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you can find the HC700 for $700 then give it a try. For your specs and budget maybe it is just what you need.

Sorry to spin you around! Just trying to make sure you get what you need that will work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15573914

The best that will work in your church setting you mean.

That's different than the best PJ $700 will buy.

Yes, exactly, best for my setting.

I'll trouble you for one more. It's in my price range (with rebate) and has the higher resolution of 1280x720.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/reb...&s=electronics

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd /forum/post/15574046

Yes, exactly, best for my setting.

I'll trouble you for one more. It's in my price range (with rebate) and has the higher resolution.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/reb...&s=electronics

The image offset is pretty steep so you might not get the image where you need it and the lumens is lower.

I still think now that you found the best option in the Epson HC700. With no lens shift, you will need to tinker with its position to get the image where you need it.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:

Recon,

You don't seem to like the HC700 at all. I think it's a pretty good compromise machine for both data and movies. It doesn't have lens shift, nor does it have a long zoom. But the 1280 x 720 resolution allows it to show HD movies and it exactly matches many laptop's resolutions today. In addition, the 800 horizontal pixels allow a pseudo lens shift where you can shift the picture. It's only about +/- 3 inches on a 100" screen, but everything helps.

In addition, it's bright, has inputs for composite, S-video, VGA/component and HDMI. All in all, it's not a bad projector, especially one that has to do double duty in the office and the home (or church).

Jim

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/15575755

Recon,

You don't seem to like the HC700 at all. I think it's a pretty good compromise machine for both data and movies. It doesn't have lens shift, nor does it have a long zoom. But the 1280 x 720 resolution allows it to show HD movies and it exactly matches many laptop's resolutions today. In addition, the 800 horizontal pixels allow a pseudo lens shift where you can shift the picture. It's only about +/- 3 inches on a 100" screen, but everything helps.

In addition, it's bright, has inputs for composite, S-video, VGA/component and HDMI. All in all, it's not a bad projector, especially one that has to do double duty in the office and the home (or church).

Jim

Jim,

That's why I changed my mind and said he ought to try it out. I was stuck in HT mode and not thinking about his situation. I agree with you that the HC700 is probably the best fit for his budget and situation and said as much a little while after I put it down initially.

But thanks for getting on me about it! If I'm going to post, I need to be helping!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts