AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with finishing up the system design for my Home Theater.

The TV I am purchasing is the Sony KF 42we610 (with new Osram bulb I hope:confused: ) and a Denon 3803 receiver. I am currently with Comcast Cable and have no plans to switch. Here is what I have interest in purchasing: Speakers/Surround~Tivo~DVD?~CD Player.

Questions:

Speakers... I am struggling with...I think I need 2 front, 1 center, 3 rear and have considered buying Klipsch SF-3 series but priced out it's a little over $2,200 and I was hoping to stay in the $1,500 range but sound quality is important if I am spending this much in a new TV and receiver..but don't want to over kill for the size of the room. (12'x20') This is the break down on how I will use my system~50% TV, 30%DVD's, 20% music-radio and CD's

Tivo...what should I be considering in the area? And can the DVD I purchase influence which Tivo to buy?

DVD...I am totally lost in this area.. a few things I would like to have...ideally in the $200-$400 range recordable (Not a burner) prefer 5-holder vs. single. prefer DVI connection also like to be able to play many different dvd formats and mp-3's. Is there a difference in the quality of sound for CD's when being played on a cd-unit versus a DVD unit? What's important when looking at DVD's?

My room is about 12'x20' with a fireplace front center and French Doors on one side of the room.

I am new to all this and as you see will be dropping some $$$$ so I want to do it right but don't want to over buy or under buy..thanks in advance!!!

This site has been such a great resource and I have learned an enormous amount from so many of you..this is my first time to post so please bare with me:)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dabber - my advice is to do some specific searches to answer some of your questions. Although more information could raise more questions - that's half the fun.

Seriously, you're asking very subjective questions that will result in many different answers. For instance, the $$ you're planning to spend on the TV could get you a good projector where you can really experience HT. The Denon receiver is a good choice, but you also need quality speakers for performance. TIVO, DVD, CD (and gaming) can all be accomplished through a basic HTPC and give you much better quality for your money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.