AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Samsung HLS4676S HDTV a couple of days ago. I was wondering what OTA antennae I need to receive my HD locals while I wait on Directv to come out. My zip code is 35611 if that helps. I know that I am about 31 miles from from the big '3' networks. Thanks.

· Registered
4,273 Posts
Your zip code does help. Plugging in your zip code into antennaweb and a antenna height of 150' to get a more complete list of your digital stations, I get

* yellow - uhf WHIQ-DT 25.1 PBS HUNTSVILLE AL 99° 28.6 24

* yellow - uhf WHNT-DT 19.1 CBS HUNTSVILLE AL 98° 28.4 59

* yellow - uhf WZDX-DT 54.1 FOX HUNTSVILLE AL 99° 28.4 41

* yellow - uhf WHDF-DT 14.1 CW FLORENCE AL 340° 16.1 14

* lt green - uhf WYLE-DT 20 IND FLORENCE AL TBD 255° 42.0 20

* lt green - uhf WAAY-DT 31.1 ABC HUNTSVILLE AL 99° 28.4 32

* red - uhf WFIQ-DT 36.1 PBS FLORENCE AL 254° 45.2 22

* red - uhf WAFF-DT 48.1 NBC HUNTSVILLE AL 102° 28.5 49

The last number on each row is the actual broadcast channel for the digital broadcast. So all of your stations are broadcasting on UHF for both analog and digital. A check of the FCC database for the post analog shutdown channel selection confirms that all of the stations in Huntsville and Florence will stay at UHF in 2009. So this simplifies the antenna selection as you need a medium range UHF antenna which can handle stations spread around in azimuth.

The Channel Master 4221 4 Bay is a good antenna for your situation. This is not an indoor antenna. Mounting it on the roof is preferred, but putting it in the attic can work provided your attic is large enough and does not have metal lining or ducts blocking the signals. You can order the CM 4221 on-line at dealers such as solidsignal.com or warrenelectronics.com. Check the OTA reception FAQ sticky if you have not done so already.

· Registered
17,223 Posts
If you just want something in the interim until D* comes out, a few indoor models you can try (that should be easily returnable) are the Philips Silver Sensor from Circuit City, or the Radio Shack 15-1892 or Terk HDTVa (which are amplified).

Putting up something permanent is a good idea though, as D* will not give you every one of those OTA channels.

· Registered
3,687 Posts
I got the Jensen TV940 it's a remote controlled antenna (indoor) and it works wonders. I would strongly suggest this to anybody that has many towers for the signals, instead of having to get up ALL the time for channel flipping. Good luck!

· Registered
17,223 Posts
So does the 15-1892, and that's one of the reasons I listed that one.

Plus the fact that it's gotten quite a few decent reviews from some of the people on this forum who've tried it.

I will keep the Jensen in mind for future reference. I seem to remember someone mentioning it somewhere here a long, long ways back, but I don't recall if their particular experience was positive or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.