AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm counting the days until my HD TV gets delivered (6/30), so in the meantime, I want to get my antenna installed. I already have the STB, so I can get the antenna completely set up before my new TV arrives.

I'm in Rancho Penasquitos and antennaweb.org says that I need a Medium Directional w/pre-amp. At my location, the two broadcast locations are about 75-80 degrees apart, with Mt. Soledad about 10 miles away and Mt. Miguel about 17-18 miles away, according to a mapping program that I used.

I'm interested in the following feedback from anyone in San Diego, particularly Rancho Penasquitos:

- What antenna are you using?

- How/why did you select this antenna?

- Are you using a pre-amp?

- Is it installed on your chimney or in your attic?

- Where did you buy your antenna?

- Did you have it installed or DIY?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tom

I live up in Vista.

Thats about about 60 miles, from the FOX station in Mexico and I recieve it and all the rest perfectly with no amp on a big yagi.

With all of the possible points of reflection around, many are getting much more signal strength than they need.

If I were you, I woul get the smallest and cheapest antenna, with good front to back ratio, that I could find, hook it directly to your STB and experiment. The RadioShack double bow tie is a good start.

In the end you may need to redirect for the different locations but don't buy what you don't need.

------------------
Bob F.

"He thrusts his fists against the p-p-posts" Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom

I'm up on the bluff in Scripps Ranch. I would suggest a Channel Master 4248 on an outdoor mast if possible. In this case you will need a rotor. Fry's has a Channel Master remote control rotor which I use in my attic installation. You might consider a Pronto or other remote which can use macros. Then you can program a macro for each channel which also positions the antenna.

I'm able to get the LA stations about as well as I can get the local channels. The best HD programming (in my opinion) is from KCET, the LA PBS station. KPBS Digital in San Diego should be available later this year. Depending on your elevation and any hills close by, you might be able to get the LA stations from Mount Wilson. I think that will be at about magnetic 370 degrees for you. This means that you will need to receive stations from 3 directions and a rotor is probably needed. A rotor is slow, but the only alternatives I know of are omnidirectional antennas which don't seem to work very well for digital TV, or three directional antennas connected through a manual or remote switch.

I currently use one Channel Master 3021 with Channel Master preamplifier on a rotor and one Channel Master 4248 (with preamplifier) permanently aimed toward Mount Wilson. Both antennas are in my attic and are connected to a single downlead through a remote A/B switch. Control of this switch will also be part of my Pronto macro for each independent channel. You can get the switch from Fry's or from Radio Shack. I'm using the lower end Channel Master preamplifiers ("Spartan" I think), but most people prefer the higher gain and better noise figure of the "Titan". I could not find the Titan amplifier in San Diego, but you can find the Spartan amplifiers at Lowe's and Fry's.

I get OK reception, but run into days when some channels are marginal. It takes a while for my receiver to optimize to the lowest error rate, so I get some drop-outs when I first turn on the Digital TV receiver (HiPix). After a few minutes, the reception improves as the receiver's automatic fine tune circuit has time to work.I could probably get much better reception of all channels if I used a roof-top installation.

I bought my antennas on-line from unclejoes.com. No problems with Uncle Joe's, but the 3021 factory packaging does not protect it well for shipping. Expect to need to do some minor repairs if you have a 3021 shipped.

Don

[This message has been edited by DEB (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Carson, CA. And I am using the Channel Master 4221 bowie style uhf antenna. Combined with the Channel Master Titan 7775 preamp. This is an outstanding setup, I get all local Los Angeles and San Diego dtv channels. And San Diego is about 3 hours from my location. I installed my antenna up on my roof with a 5ft. mast. Also installed a rotator which I purchased from Radio Shcack. Cause I got tired of manually turning the antenna by hand to find strongest signal. I also tilted the bowie style antenna at about 45 degrees. I made a "T" out of cut up 5ft mast that I purchased from Home Depot. Because I had one channel having drop outs when it was on a straight up mount which was Fox channel. But when it was tilted the Fox channel was fixed. I am very happy with this combo. Channel Master is one great product.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by REF:
If I were you, I would get the smallest and cheapest antenna, with good front to back ratio, that I could find, hook it directly to your STB and experiment. The RadioShack double bow tie is a good start.
I tried the RS double bowtie and only got KFMB.

We're moving into our new house in three weeks and I'm anticipating that I will need at least an antenna in the attic if not mounted to the chimney. I was considering the 3021 or the 4221 as Don and Peter have suggested. (What's the difference between these two anyway? The Channel Master web site doesn't show any differences.)

Don & Peter, thanks for the detailed responses.

Quote:
Originally posted by DEB:

I think that will be at about magnetic 370 degrees for you.
Don, there's only 360 degrees on the compass! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tom

You must live in an RF hole, or have some bad reflections.

You should at least get KGTV ABC Ch25. It comes from the same direction and is a stronger signal(for me anyway).

Could you try hooking up the antenna to an analog set to see if your receiving a week signal(grainy) or multiple images, on the analog stations?

What are you using for analog TV now? If it's not cable,how does it look?

Sincerely,

------------------
Bob F.

"He thrusts his fists against the p-p-posts" Bill

[This message has been edited by REF (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the reason I'm waiting for the TV is that I'm moving in three weeks and it won't be delivered until then. I have access to the property this coming Friday and will be able to set up an antenna before the TV gets delivered.

My current location in Rancho Penasquitos is between Black Mountain Road and Carmel Mountain road. My back yard points almost directly at Black Mountain. On really clear days, I can see the ocean off La Jolla from my second story balcony. I hooked up the RS antenna to my Mits HD400 and just set it on the window sill on the first floor.

My new location will be about a mile south on a ridge on the east side of Black Mountain Road, near Salmon River Road. From there, I can see the ocean from almost anywhere on the west/south side of the property. I'll just have to wait until this weekend to really find out what the reception is like in the new house!

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom

Thanks, I was wondering why my rotor never responded to 370. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I think I remember quite a few hills in the area you describe. You might have some problems if the view toward 240, 170 or 350 degrees is blocked by a hill. However, I think the 4 bay bowtie from Channel Master should be a good choice, especially if you can mount it outdoors and at least a few feet above the highest point on your roof. If that doesn't help, you may need a more directional antenna like the 4248 or a higher antenna mast.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom

I can't get 40 either, even though they are quite close. I'm not sure if I'm overloading my preamp or tuner with this close-in channel or if they are transmitting at very low power (or not at all) due to a potential adjacent channel interference problem. (I think their NTSC transmitter is on 39 which is very close in frequency to their ATSC channel 40). Anyone else able to get 40 in San Diego?

Don

·
Registered
437 Posts
NBC is broacasting at low power from what I understand. The reason why escapes me but I think they will go full power sometime next year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Marcello

Many houses around California have a chicken wire and stucco outer covering. The chicken wire acts as an RF shield and causes reception problems for indoor antennas. I suspect you will do much better outside, and especially if you can install the antenna on a roof mast. A preamp will compensate for the signal loss due to your lead-in cable and any connectors or switches you use.

Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get 40 from Vista, but its my weakest signal, normally a strength of about 60, and I know there is some reflection off a local hill. It takes longer to lock in than the rest and drops occasionally.

There's not much there anyway.

------------------

Bob

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I tried again last night and discovered a "feature" with the Mits HD400.

I set it up with just the RS antenna and the satellite input. I did a scan and it didn't pick up any digital channels. I exited out of the setup menu and then just punched in 25-1 and got KGTV-DT just fine. I punched in 55-1 and got KFMB-DT just fine. I couldnt' get KNSD-DT (40), KWSB-DT (19), or XETV-DT (23), but they're on Mount Miguel.

I went back into the setup menu and did a signal strength check on channels 25 and 55 and the signal strength is 100 on both channels.

I then set up the receiver with a cable input and diplexed the satellite input with the OTA input. I did another scan and again it didn't pick up any digital channels, but selecting them directly worked just fine and added them to the guide.

In the guide, it remapped 55-1 to 10-1 and 40 to 8-1, so it shows up just below the local satellite listing (SD8 & SD10) and the cable listing (8 & 10).

I think that this is going to work just fine for now!

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
437 Posts
Okay I am in Escondido in the Del Dios neighborhood. I bought a Winegard GS-2000 antenna. I plan to have it installed on Friday. As a test I hooked up the antenna to a tv inside my home and I got all the analog channels but they were very snowy (I got Fox with the clearest picture but still sometimes garbled sound). So I am wondering will putting this antenna on my roof on a 5ft mast help and if I get snowy analog is that a strong enough signal to get digital??

Thanks for the replies http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in Encinitas, and can get all the San Diego channels with practicaly no problems, except for 40. I can recieve it, it just is not reliable as all the rest.

I am using a CM4228 with a 7775 pre-amp and a rotor. If you want more info about it check it out here.
http://members.home.net/jvh/antenna

If you have any questions, just ask away...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.