AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, please forgive me if this is in the wrong section .. I tried my best to put it in the right section ..

Hi all ... Well my dad is setting up a Home Theater in the basement and he's asked me to find out which HDMI Cable to use .. The cable needs to be 10 meters (32 feet) or more in length .. Also, since the cable will be embedded behind the walls, once its in there's no replacing it ... Meaning I only have one shot at this and I need a *good quality* 10 meter HDMI cable that won't let me down ! I dont mind spending a little bit of money on this, but I don't want to buy a cable that's $150+ without any genuine reason as to why its so expensive ..

Also, this friend of my dad recommended that he use a 'QED' HDMI Cable .. I looked up QED and it seems to be some UK brand of HDMI Cables which seem to be *very* expensive (about $300 for a 10 meter) cable .. What are your thoughts on this ?

Do note that I would like to get a cable thats as future-proof as possible .. Meaning it supports 3D and all .. Should be at least 1.3b .. I'm not sure if I need 1.4 or not ..

Any advice here will be really appreciated guys and gals

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Most of the people around here(myself included) like Monoprice cables, they also sell cables specifically for in-wall installation. They are very inexpensive, but not cheap cables.

I've also ordered from Blue Jeans Cable and while not as cheap as MP they sell excellent cables as well. People that are afraid of MPs too low price may prefer BJC, they sell a cheaper line(that I've used) and a slightly more expensive line.

DON'T DON'T DON'T fall for the marketing hype of $100+ HDMI cables, a quality cheaper cable will work just as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for pointing out those sites Jeff but this doesn't really what to look for at these sites .. Like, what qualities should I look in HDMI cables .. ? Do you know of any specific HDMI cables which are meant for Home Theater systems which require long lengths .. ? Also, is there any specific reason why that QED HDMI cable is so expensive .. ?

Here's the QED Cable I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UJED18

And should I get HDMI cable v1.4 ? Or is 1.3b okay ?

Some other questions too, in regards to the different HDMI Cable categories mentioned at Monoprice ..

1) What do CL2/CL3 mean ?

2) I can't find any 'High Speed' HDMI cables which are 10 meters or longer .. ? What should I do ?

3) Whats the difference between 'High Speed' and 'Standard Speed' HDMI Cables ?

4) There are some other categorizations too, such as: Ferrite Core, 'Premium', 'Professional', '28AWG', '24AWG', 22AWG' .. Can someone briefly explain these terms too .. ?

Thanks for all your help mate

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka /forum/post/19555419

1) What do CL2/CL3 mean ?

They are UL ratings for cable appropriate for in-wall use
Quote:
2) I can't find any 'High Speed' HDMI cables which are 10 meters or longer .. ? What should I do ?

Longest certified high speed cable is 25 AFAIK. Use the best cable you can for longer runs, like BJC Series 1. It is arguably the best you can get and reasonably priced. FWIW unless you are running 1080p with Deep Color and 3D, you are not pushing the limits of a high speed cable. It will work fine at longer length than certified for at lower bit rates most of us use today. Exactly how far you can go depends on the cables, all the electronics involved, what you are trying to shove down the cable, and the environment. There are no guarantees. All you can do is try and see. If a passive cable won't do the job, an active cable will. There are solutions that will work reliably for a few hundred feet at a price.
Quote:
3) Whats the difference between 'High Speed' and 'Standard Speed' HDMI Cables ?

Standard cables are adequate for 1080i/720p and below. High speed cables are generally required for the higher bit rates used by 1080p60, Deep Color and 3D. FWIW they can be the same cable. BJC Series 1 is rate high speed up to 25', standard to up to 45'.
Quote:
4) There are some other categorizations too, such as: Ferrite Core, 'Premium', 'Professional', '28AWG', '24AWG', 22AWG' .. Can someone briefly explain these terms too .. ?

Larger wire (smaller AWG) is advantageous for longer runs because of lower attenuation. 28AWG is OK up to about 10'. The rest is BS.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19555094

Most of the people around here(myself included) like Monoprice cables, they also sell cables specifically for in-wall installation. They are very inexpensive, but not cheap cables.

I've also ordered from Blue Jeans Cable and while not as cheap as MP they sell excellent cables as well. People that are afraid of MPs too low price may prefer BJC, they sell a cheaper line(that I've used) and a slightly more expensive line.

DON'T DON'T DON'T fall for the marketing hype of $100+ HDMI cables, a quality cheaper cable will work just as well.

AMEN!! I bought today at a local computer shop a 15ft HDMI cable with gold plated contacts for $19.....do NOT be taken as noted above...its digital!! As long as it meets the specs, its ok...it doesnt NEED to be expensive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19555453

Standard cables are adequate for 1080i/720p and below. High speed cables are generally required for the higher bit rates used by 1080p60, Deep Color and 3D.

Well thats the problem .. I want all these extra features (3D, Deep Color, etc..), *and* I want to cable to be 32 feet or longer .. But you said such features can only be found in these High Speed cables which go up till 25 feet ... So what are my options now ?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Get the best cable you can, BJC Series 1 IMHO, and hope for the best. FWIW one poster is having problems with it at 45' with 1080p60 and 12 bit color. The alternative is to go with an active cable, or a power extender that uses Cat 5/6 cable, coax or fiber. The ones that seem to work reliably are a few hundred bucks and up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I would now want to have a cable which fully supports HDMI 1.4 and has the HDMI Ethernet capability too ..

How do you guy feel about this cable ? --> http://www.dcables.net/Commercial-In...D-35-Feet.aspx

And this one ? --> http://www.onecall.com/product/Audio...ble/_/R-104339

And this one ? --> BJC Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable

And this Monoprice one (although it looks very much like a 1.3ish) --> http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Remember I would like it to fully support HDMI 1.4 and preferably also have Ethernet as well .. Price is not an issue if it can be backed up by the cable, but I would prefer not to go beyond about $180 or so ..

Any other recommendations would be appreciated too ..

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Your first link is 28 gauge, IMO too thin for a 35' cable.

Your second link is not specified which probably means 28 or maybe 26 gauge. At $169 IMO it's way overpriced.

Your third link is the Monoprice, 22 gauge and only $31, IMO your best choice.

You don't have a link to the BJC but if it isn't at least 24 gauge I'd go with the MP cable.

People may want to believe a $169 cable is better than a $31 but when I hear things like "long grain copper" and "HD Polyethylene composition" I just shake my head

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About the first link, there's a little bug in the description. If you look here:

http://www.dcables.net/HDMI-1-4-Certified-Cables.aspx

The link I posted is the second cable listed here from the top, and in the description given here, it says its 24 AWG .. But when you open up the link it says 28 AWG like you pointed out .. What do you think is the deal here ? Unreliable site maybe ?

The Monoprice cable looks good, but there's no hint of any 1.4 compatibility in it .. I read customer reviews for it and they best they point out is that *some* of these cables read they are 1.3 compliant .. A mention of 1.4 is nowhere in site ..

The BJC Cable is 23.5 AWG (from their site) ..

Would you still recommend the Monoprice one ?

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
24 gauge for the dcables sounds more like it. I mainly see 28 AWG for 6' and below so it's probably a typo.

The 23.5 gauge of the BJC would also be fine. I'm not setup for 1.4 myself so I'll let someone else who is answer your question on that, like I said before I've used both MP and BJC and haven't had a problem with either.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Also, is there any specific reason why that QED HDMI cable is so expensive .. ?

Yes. They use the word 'reference' in the description in their ad. Several times, in fact. Not quite the biggest price gouge I've seen, but they appear to have a bit more gall than Monster...

BTW, If it's going to be closed in the wall I'd toss a couple CAT-5 or CAT-6 cables in with it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, I talked to two Monoprice reps in detail and I'm convinced that their 35 feet cable should be okay for my HDMI 1.4 feature needs... Next question is this: They (Monprice) have various different cable options ..... Here is the list of all available 35 feet cables they have, along with their prices:

1) 24 AWG cable.. $23

2) 24 AWG 'flat' cable.. $23

3) 22 AWG cable.. $31

4) 22 AWG 'silver platted' cable.. $45

Their rep naturally recommended the last option to me as being the best at transferring signals .. But how much better is it ? I mean installation for a 22 AWG is also more difficult I understand .. Also, in the 24 AWG category, he said the 'flat' cable option is better as its more noise repelling, and is easier to install .. but i noticed people still go for the normal 'round' HDMI' cable ... Any logical reason for this ?

Can you suggest from the above list which cable I should go for ? I would of course prefer 22 AWG (I dont mind the extra $20 at all), but the problem is I don't know if it would be easy to install (as compared to a 24 AWG cable) in a 32 feet long conduit which has two 90 degree bends .. This is the reason why I'm asking for advice on the above choices ...

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
What size conduit do you plan on using? Unless it's rather small I'd think the 22 gauge would be fine if you pull it through with a fish tape. Since it will be in conduit I wouldn't think you'd need CL2/3 cable. I've personally never had to use one of the flat cables so I really don't know anything about them.

For the length you're talking I'd get the largest gauge you can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.