AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the linux boot disk upgrade to work and I did a backup. I get nothing but the infinite blue "please wait" screen.

1 - I have tried just hookup up the original HD, but I still have the same screen (used the original data ribbon.) Shouldn't this work?

2 - The drives have power (I hear them spinning). Should I try a know working data ribbon? Or revert the back up (I checked and it's there on the computer's HD.) and start again?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Three things

1- If the ac plug was not disconnected before connecting the hard drive into the replay the data is corrupt.

2- Make sure the hard disk is jumpered to master and that the IDE ribbon red stripe is towards pin 1 (every hard disk I've played with pin 1 is the closest pin to the power connector).

3- After mirroring the disk must be patched with the same program. The disk will show up as patched after the patch operation. Say yes to all reset partition questions.

start over if none of the above.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yes check the jumpers if it won't boot. Remember that first boot up is longer than you'd think and and then it powers off. This is normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay in reply;

>Three things

>1- If the ac plug was not disconnected before connecting the >hard drive into the replay the data is corrupt.

No, the drive was completely disconnected from all power (Even did the work in another room.)

>2- Make sure the hard disk is jumpered to master and that the >IDE ribbon red stripe is towards pin 1 (every hard disk I've >played with pin 1 is the closest pin to the power connector).

Okay, the original drive has jumpers that say "master/single" (the drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 96147H8. The image bloew shows the jumpers and I used the setting for master.

>3- After mirroring the disk must be patched with the same >program. The disk will show up as patched after the patch >operation. Say yes to all reset partition questions.

I did this and it seemed to work okay (no error messages.)

>start over if none of the above.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
are you saying after doing all 3 steps you still can't boot? What are you seeing?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deramon
No, the drive was completely disconnected from all power (Even did the work in another room.)
He's referring to when you removed it from the ShowStopper or when you put it back in the ShowStopper. If the power cord was not removed from the ShowStopper during either operation, the data on the drive is corrupted.

-Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quoting I8er;

He's referring to when you removed it from the ShowStopper or when you put it back in the ShowStopper. If the power cord was not removed from the ShowStopper during either operation, the data on the drive is corrupted.

-Gary

Okay, I'm not understanding you here. I disconnected the unit from the power, unhooking it at the back of the unit and leaving the other end in the receptacle in the wall. I did all my work, disconnecting and reconnecting the drives, brought the unit back to the room, plugged the cord back into the back of the unit.

I am just getting the perpetual initial "Please wait" blue screen. I checked the data cable and it is fine.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You need a new disk image. I have a showstopper image. What unit do you have and do you have broadband to download a 44 meg file?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deramon
Okay, I'm not understanding you here. I disconnected the unit from the power, unhooking it at the back of the unit and leaving the other end in the receptacle in the wall. I did all my work, disconnecting and reconnecting the drives, brought the unit back to the room, plugged the cord back into the back of the unit.
Ok, that's fine, it wasn't real clear before that you had unplugged the unit before removing the drive. But...when you removed the original drive, did you power the ShowStopper off and wait for the drive to spin down before unplugging the power cord?

-Gary

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Deramon, I believe you are doing the hack correctly. You likely corrupted the original disk image.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
You need a new disk image. I have a showstopper image. What unit do you have and do you have broadband to download a 44 meg file?
I have the unit that has a Maxtor 60gig drive. Yes, I have broadband (DSL.) But I backed up the drive before the upgrade, so let me try and restore that first. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Deramon, I believe you are doing the hack correctly. You likely corrupted the original disk image.
I made the back which is a file BACKUP.RTV on my c drive. Should I restore it? I am using the linux boot disk system. How do I restore the file?

Back up;

"mount /dev/hda1 /mnt"

"dd if=/dev/hdc of=/mnt/backup.rtv bs=1024 count=320000"

"umount /mnt"

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
 http://replayfaq.reidpix.com/faq.asp?id=98

I believe you still need to run the patch after you copy the image back to the hard disk.

I can't imagine why win 2000 RTVPatch will not work under windows 2000. The program should start just by clicking on it.

Your motherboard bios may need updating in order to recognize the 60 gig hard drive especially if the motherboard is older that 2 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.