AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All..

I'm trying to get 5.1 output from my HTPC but am having next to no luck, been trying to get it happening for ages now but I seem to be going backwards.

I have a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 soundcard, that has coaxial digital out. From this output I feed it to a Coaxial --> fibre convertor so I can use the fibre digital input on the Amp. (the amp has no coax digital inputs)

I have set the soundcard to use the digital output only. From the soundcard output I use a stereo plug, which then splits into 2 RCA plugs (which goes the converter mentioned above).

Using either one of the RCA plugs results in the Front speakers picking up some audio (either as intended or picking up the wrong channel, depending on which one I use). I then tried to use a 2 RCA to 1 RCA adaptor, the result of that = AMP doesnt pick up the digital signal at all.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? Is it possible that the AMP will only output 5.1 if it gets a 5.1 signal that hasn't been decoded, which the sound card may already be doing? Do I need a soundcard that will output 5.1 that hasn't already been decoded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I am going nuts.

Lindsay

· Registered
2,164 Posts
I dont think you can do what you want to do without some specific proprietory cables that not even Creative sell. You need to make sure you are using the right 3.5mm (like 3 rung one maybe?) cable since the coax output on the Live 5.1 is not standard RCA like it is on many other cards.

I am sure it has more to do with your choice of cable. Look up the manual for the Live 5.1 it doesn't make much mention of Coax out last I checked but my memory is foggy since I never got round to doing 5.1 while I had that card.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Lindsay,

If you are getting this problem with non-DD material (i.e., game audio) check out my post in this thread about S/PDIF:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=458014

If you are getting this problem with DVDs, then you need to set the Live5.1 to not decode the DD material - this is done in the creative software that came with the card (it used to be off of the speaker settings in the surround mixer, not sure where it would be for that card these days).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.