AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like I'll be going with the Marantz av7005 as a pre. my current set up is a 5.1. no idea where I'll be down the road in regards to going to a 7.1 as my 5.1 suits me fine. but should I go with a 5.1, limiting my expansion with this amp and potentially making it a dinosaur, or spend the extra cash and go with a 7 channel amp and leave more room for expansion. I could always use the 5 channel amp in another room down the road. I have an idea what the replies are going to be but I thought I would ask.

also, any suggestions on a brand? currently I'm looking at the marantz mm7055 and the NAD T955. I really prefer a warmer more natural sound over the brighter thinner sounding. budget would be around $2000. this would paired with atlantic technology 370 speakers.

thanks

EDIT:

I found a Parasound Halo 52 on craigslist that he says is one year old for $1100

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

imo, get 5 channel amp now...

if you decide to add 2 more speakers down the road, add a 2 channel amp at that time...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you don't need 200 watts / channel Emotiva makes an affordable amp, the UPA-7.

cc's idea has merit though, because if you do eventually want to go to 7 channels, you can amp the left/right speakers with a nice amp, and use the 5-channel amp for the other channels. Or you could get a lower power amp for the arguably easier to power rear surround or surround speakers.

There's probably more options for 5 channel amping than 7 channel.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
What's wrong with the amp in the Marantz ? Marantz should be a warm sounding amp already ... when I was faced with the same decision I went 7 channel and chose Sunfire TGA, but my plan is to go 9 channel. Right now I am 7 using the wides instead of rear surrounds, but when I add rear surrounds will use the internal amps of my AVR most likely.

So far I am happy with how my Sunfire sounds, I feel it is warm and natural. I used to listen to music pretty much 2 channel with either Scott or McIntosh tube amplifiers. One day I still want a 7channel McIntosh amp..but didn't want to fork over $5k.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john enea /forum/post/19610841

this is the pre-amp so no power

sorry I guess I should have looked up the model number
.. when you said I was going to use it as a pre.. I thought there might be a choice....I'm currently using my Denon 4311ci "as a pre"

Like I said, I'm pretty happy with my Sunfire but you have to try different ones (with your speakers preferably) Look for places that let you in home demo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with the seven but use five as before. But now I see I can create a zone 2 (different source to another location in the house) or b speakers (same source to another location). So they won't be idle. I have a Pioneer VSX 1020 K.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacsteve /forum/post/0

I went with the seven but use five as before. But now I see I can create a zone 2 (different source to another location in the house) or b speakers (same source to another location). So they won't be idle. I have a Pioneer VSX 1020 K.

I think we're talking external amps here...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts