AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a house built last year and during construction ran approximately 35 ft of grey conduit from Home Depot in the master bedroom to feed an HDMI cable from a drywall entertainment center next to my fire place to the wall I want to mount a flat panel on. 8 months later we are moved in and I can not feed anything thru the conduit... I have tried feeding nylon fish tape, copper wire, the actual HDMI cable, you name it but they all get stuck about 15 into the conduit... We were very careful to create a smooth run up the wall across the attic and then down the wall again, meaning all nice curves, not a single section approximates 90 degrees, think upside down j and you get the idea of how the run flows. Ideally we would have ran a string thru before the house was drywalled but it is too late now... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed a wire, string or the actual HDMI cable thru the conduit? I worked on this several hours and have no idea how to solve the problem. I am really stuck here, help somebody please...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the vac sounds like a good idea but I am not sure I fully understand how to make that work... I am going to use suction to pull a line thru the conduit but how do I maintain enough suction thru the conduit to pull the string thru? Could you elaborate?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tie a rag or paper towel onto the string. Suck it through from the other end. If you don't get enough suction, use a bigger rag. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Usually metal fish tape works for me -- a variation is a plumber's roto rooter machine.

I've never tried this before, but I think the vacume idea could work.

When you run a line from one ship to another, you start with a small line, sometimes as small as a string, and work your way up to larger rope, and finally the steel cable.

In this case it's 35 feet long.

What i'd try is

a) a 50 foot spool of 1" paper ribbon

b) at the end of that tie 50 feet of dental floss

c) at the end of that tie 50 feet of string.

Two people, a feeder and a vacume cleaner runner.

I'm not talking some little home vacume cleaner. Something with 6.5 Peak HP or so, like a big Shop Vac. You want enough wind to pull it through with a bunch of friction, but not so much that it tears off.

Tie and duct tape the dental floss to the end of the paper ribbon using at least a foot of the ribbon, and tie the string to the end of the dental floss, and tie the end of the string to a post. Lay them all out in a back and forth pattern on the floor so that they won't tangle when you start.

Attach the vacuume cleaner with duct tape to the other end, and start it up. Then slowly feed the paper into the hole. If it doesn't draw the paper into the hole all by itself, give up and try something else.

When you get as far as the string, the dental floss should be in the pipe and out both ends and you can turn off the vacume to check that it's actually coming out the other end, and then pull the dental floss until you get the string.

If the paper tears off, then tie the string to a sock -- and see if the wind pulls the sock through. The sock would be held in front of the string waving like a flag, not rolled up into a ball. If not, then give up. A variation on a sock would be a scarf - the idea is a foot or more long, and light and tensile strong.

When you finally get it done, pull both your HDMI cable and a string through at the same time, so that next time you have a string in place to pull on.

·
Registered
491 Posts
50 Ft. fish tape should work. I used a 100 FT fish tape to place a string in a 2" conduit pipe 70 ft. long that runs from my sat. dish to my equipment room and it is basically a long upside down "J". You can get the fish tape @ lowes, when you are done just take it back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't stress enough how much a difference it made for me to LUBRICATE whatever you run through the conduit. I have many angles in mine and my cables wouldn't budge until I greased them up. Went through that conduit so easy afterwards. Try it.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J dog /forum/post/0

I can't stress enough how much a difference it made for me to LUBRICATE whatever you run through the conduit. I have many angles in mine and my cables wouldn't budge until I greased them up. Went through that conduit so easy afterwards. Try it.

Ditto. Swing by some place like Home Depot, cruise back to the electrical dept. and pick yourself up a bottle of cable pulling lubricant. For giggles, you may want to make sure that you didn't end up with an obstruction somewhere in the conduit as they were finishing out the house. You can test this by sticking a vacuum to one end of the run and holding a piece of tissue to the other end to see if the vaccum tries to pull it through.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Round the end of the wire back on itself. Sometimes adding a slight bend (10 degrees) helps too.

Note to all: Put string inside the conduit, at installation. Be sure to cap the ends, or else some joker might drop some debris inside the conduit and lock the line... this happened at one of my warehouses.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you own a hamster?

(Yea, I know... just couldn't resist)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the vac on one end dental floss on the other end trick worked! Now i just need to feed a stronger piece of string thru and the my HDMI cable. Thanks for all the advice, highly helpful!!!

And for those who were curious I did not end up on the sofa last night I just waited till today to do it lol...

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
temesgen

Quote:
Well the vac on one end dental floss on the other end trick worked!

wow.

Quote:
And for those who were curious I did not end up on the sofa last night

Someone around here has a home theatre that's named "The Dog House".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.