AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So have an older Sony HDTV with 1 HDMI and 2 Component connections.

My stereo receiver is also older has 3 Component connections, no HDMI and several optical connections.

Right now, my Cable DVR is connected to my TV via HDMI, and to my stereo receiver via optical. It's great, I get audio via the TV and via the receiver.

Now, my Apple TV is connected to the 1 of the Component connections on the TV along with the traditional left/right audio cables.

My XBox360 is connected to the other Component connection on the TV along with the traditional left/right audio cables.

Both the Apple TV and XBox have optical output.

Here's what I want to do...

Like my Cable DVR, I want to connect audio of the Apple TV and XBox so that it will play audio directly from the TV (as it currently does) AND/OR also play audio via my receiver. What must I do to make this work, that is, assuming it's possible given my equipment?

Thanks.

With Cable DVR, I can play audio from the TV only, the receiver only, or both.

I'd like to do the same with the Apple TV and XBox360...there are some movies you want to watch with TV sound and others with stereo sound...same with games.

Thanks in advance again for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedJunky /forum/post/15583106

So have an older Sony HDTV with 1 HDMI and 2 Component connections.

My stereo receiver is also older has 3 Component connections, no HDMI and several optical connections.

Right now, my Cable DVR is connected to my TV via HDMI, and to my stereo receiver via optical. It's great, I get audio via the TV and via the receiver.

Now, my Apple TV is connected to the 1 of the Component connections on the TV along with the traditional left/right audio cables.

My XBox360 is connected to the other Component connection on the TV along with the traditional left/right audio cables.

Both the Apple TV and XBox have optical output.

Here's what I want to do...

Like my Cable DVR, I want to connect audio of the Apple TV and XBox so that it will play audio directly from the TV (as it currently does) AND/OR also play audio via my receiver. What must I do to make this work, that is, assuming it's possible given my equipment?

Thanks.

With Cable DVR, I can play audio from the TV only, the receiver only, or both.

I'd like to do the same with the Apple TV and XBox360...there are some movies you want to watch with TV sound and others with stereo sound...same with games.

Thanks in advance again for your help.

I don't think what you're trying to do is going to work. You could get a few RCA splitters for the L/R audio and send it to both the receiver and TV. But then you'd probably have to run the component video straight into the TV for each source so that the TV's inputs would match the video and sound. This seems like a very sub-optimal solution.

Just out of curiosity, why would you ever want to use the TV's speakers to begin with? Generally once people get a receiver and speakers they turn off the TV's (inferior) speakers and route all audio through the receiver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts