AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching this section and have found it more hard to find a solid answer than in other sections. Probably because the subwoofer world is really foreign to me. My apologies in advance if this has been covered in other threads (please link me to them if they exist).

I am looking to get a new subwoofer for my new HT set up for around $700 or under. My needs are for something that has a the tightest, non-"boomy" sound and is not too large. I would love it to be used for both music and HT.

Here is my current setup:

Speakers: Definitive Technologies BP7006 (front), Def Tech 2002 (center), Def Tech BP2X (rears), and an old Infinity 10" sub.

Receiver: Old Sony ES - Will be upgrading to a Pioneer Elitie or maybe an Arcam if I can swing it.

Room Size: Roughly 18x20

I have no idea how to even begin looking for a good sub,I just know what I want it to do. Again, I want it to be tight, not boomy, and it does not need to be overpowering at all. I don't want my windows rattling but I want it to accent my setup as best it can. I will want it to accent my Def Techs 7006 (with powered 8" subs) for music to just add that slight "umph" and actually enhance my highs and mids.

I also do not want to have to order online so it would need to be something I can find locally here in the Chicagoland area. In other words, something that my local Magnolia, Tweeter or high end audio stores will carry.

Recently I have auditioned a ton of speakers and receivers, but I have found it very hard to tell a big difference in subwoofers. Bass is much tougher for me to distinguish compared to overall sound.

I would love it if I could get some suggestions as to what subs I should even begin auditioning and what I should be listening for.

Are Velodynes that good or overrated? Should I look at what my local high end store has? Anyone have great experiences with Def Techs for music?

Should I go 8" or 10" Does size matter for tight bass response?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The OP said he wants to buy from a local store, so Hsu and most of the usual suspects are out.

Based on all of the OP's requirements, and based on everything I've read here, I'd recommend looking at the Martin Logan Dynamo at your local Magnolia. It's a small 10" sealed sub and is said to be very musical. Should be $600 or so, I believe. Do a search to read more opinions. You might also look at the Mirage S8/S10/S12, which you might also find at Magnolia.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks SO much folks!!! I will audition some of those mentioned at my local Magnolia.

Keep 'em comin'!!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/0

I also do not want to have to order online so it would need to be something I can find locally here in the Chicagoland area. In other words, something that my local Magnolia, Tweeter or high end audio stores will carry.

IMO, you are really doing yourself a disservice by not considering any internet-direct brands. whether it be HSU, SVS, Axiom, AV123, etc., i think you'd find that most people would agree you get significantly more bang for the buck with one of these guys vs. retail subs at your local big box or specialty shop. just some food for thought.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star /forum/post/0

IMO, you are really doing yourself a disservice by not considering any internet-direct brands. whether it be HSU, SVS, Axiom, AV123, etc., i think you'd find that most people would agree you get significantly more bang for the buck with one of these guys vs. retail subs at your local big box or specialty shop. just some food for thought.

I agree. There is a significant body of evidence to tell you if an online only product is any good. Trust this forum's members. There are many no-holds-barred debates about sub. We can drive you crazy, but we won't steer you wrong.

If you go retail only, you are eliminating many very good subs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently placed orders for my first two subs without auditioning anything, only trusting others' opinions. Hopefully it will work out for me.

However, I can only admire the OP for wanting to audition before buying. I don't know about subwoofers, but for speakers it is a cardinal sin to buy without auditioning. It's one of the main reasons why so many people are unhappy with their gear and go through countless "upgrades".

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I like the idea of auditioning in a B&M.. as it will give you an idea of a speaker's sound. But several times I have taken speakers home and they sound nowhere near the way they did in the store. The only true test is to get them in your own environment.

That said, I don't know of any subwoofer sold locally in my area for less than $700 that can compare with the products that Hsu and SVS have available at that same price point. And I'm sure most others out there would agree with that.

It would really be a shame to buy an inferior product for the dollar just because it's within driving distance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Excellent point about the difference between store and home. I expect -- although I'm a newcomer to subs -- that this is even more of an issue for subwoofers, since the bass region is the most room-specific of all. This now makes me think it's of pretty limited use to audition a sub in a B&M store.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Spooky,

I spent weeks listening to main speakers before I decided on what I wanted. Main speakers are much more critical to the sound so those need to sound good to you.

I have a friend who redoing his HT and asked if I'd want to buy one of his subs. He had 2 subs that I was able to lug over and try out. A 10 incher and a 12 incher. Both sounded good, but the 10 inch seem a little lost. The 10 had 100 watts behind it and the 12 had 150 watts behind it. They were both older Polks, which aren't the greatest.

The 12 incher filled the room more (BTW my room is about 12 x 15) but I didn't get the sound/feeling that I wanted.

I listened and listened at the local shops and came to the conclusion that iI preferred a 12 incher with about 300 watts pushing it. And I wanted it to be able to go looooooow....

Based on reviews, forums and user recommendations, I just ordered a HSU VTF3 MK3...should be here Wednesday or Thursday, so I'll see then if it is as good as people say....

Personnal opinion...subs don't need all of the auditioning that mains take...it simply goes boom boom boom or BOOM BOOM BOOM....

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I needed a sub and based on the opinions of the members here, I bought an Hsu VTF 1 and could not be happier. For my room size, this sub is perfect-great for HT(reason for purchase) and great for music. Check out Hsu, SVS, or some of the other internet brands mentioned-you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I listened to the Mirage and the Martin Logan at my local store last night and did like the ML a bit better.

I am now thinking of going the "online route" but just get nervous not being able to audition it. I hate having to ship things back and fourth if I need to return for some reason. Especially something as big as a sub.

BUT...if I did go through SVS or HSU, can you guys recommend a specific sub or two that will best match my setup (or confirm the few mentioned above)?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:

Thanks guys. I listened to the Mirage and the Martin Logan at my local store last night and did like the ML a bit better.

I am now thinking of going the "online route" but just get nervous not being able to audition it. I hate having to ship things back and fourth if I need to return for some reason. Especially something as big as a sub.

BUT...if I did go through SVS or HSU, can you guys recommend a specific sub or two that will best match my setup (or confirm the few mentioned above)?

Thanks!!!

Go to HSU website: http://www.hsuresearch.com/index.html

They have some selection info there. Also call them. I talked to them for 20-25 minutes explaining what I had and what I wanted. They actually recommended the VTF2-MK3 for my setup. I went with the VTF3-MK3, just will keep it "turned down" a little. The VTF2 and 3 are pretty close to the same physical size. Th VTF3-MK3 adds a 100 watts of power and has dual 4" ports versus dual 3". Plus thier warranty is one of the best.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are Velodynes not that great anymore??? I never see anyone referring them. Are they "old news"? 5-10 years ago they were supposedly the best out there.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
For $649 this seems to be the winner right now.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

I do not own the HSU. I own the SVS and I'm happy with the performance of my SVS PB-12NSD. They are $599 new and you can get a B-stock for $529-549, and I'm sure you'd be happy with this sub as well.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:

Are Velodynes not that great anymore??? I never see anyone referring them. Are they "old news"? 5-10 years ago they were supposedly the best out there.

Velos are still good subs and their top of the line DD series are tremendous. But, there is a lot more competition in any of their price ranges. They usually aren't top dog in any price category now, but they are still worthy of consideration. For you, the DPS-10 or DPS-12 or the DLS-4000R or DLS-5000R should be looked into. These are all ported subs. For the better sound quality (SQ) look into the SPL or DD series. But you will have to significantly up your budget. They do make some of the prettiest subs if you want to include aesthetics in your criteria.

The subs I linked to in an earlier post are all sealed subs (usually preferred for music because of cleaner SQ) that can also perform admirably for HT. They are also smaller and are close to your budget. If you want to focus mostly on HT with music as secondary, then the ported designs from SVS or HSU will be some of the best choices in your price range. At this moment, HSU appears to have the upper hand for performance/price. That may change. If you are ready to buy now, the VTF-2 MK3 or VTF-3 MK3 are terrific deals. Both the HSU and SVS subs are not known for their small size (except the SVS SB12+).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.