AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my TWC HD box this thursday, and need help.

Does anyone have this box hooked up using rgbhv option? Is the RGBHV signal directly compatible with a vga monitor (using breakout cable of course)?

The reason I ask: I have a faroujda that has both rgbhv and vga outputs. The rgbhv works with my nec projector (using rgbhv inputs) but does NOT work with my vga input fujitsu plasma. The fujitsu plasma doesn't sync to the projector. Interestingly, when I hook up the rgbhv to an extron vga distribution amp, and send the output to the nec projector, it doesn't sync up either.

I suspect the faroujda's rgbhv sync signals are not compatible with vga. This has not been a problem for me. But I'm concerned that the TWC box (which uses rgbhv outputs) will have the same problem.

By the way, yes I made sure my cables were good, that they were connected correctly, etc etc.

------------------

Alex

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I'll encounter some similar decision this Monday during my 2000HD installation. From reading many posts about them, it's my understanding you can hook 2000HDs up 5-wire (RGBHV) or 3 wire (plain component). An internal jumper determines the output. You'd hope the installer might be aware of this, but if not, and if they jumpers are unambiguous, plan to switch them myself. RGBHV theoretically might be the superior picture-quality option, but I plan on trying 3-wire first. That'll require temporarily removing my set's progressive-DVD input. That leaves a 15-pin VGA connection on my set as a second-input option. You should, I'd think, be able to use a standard 5-cable (BNC) to 15-pin-plug cable available in most computer stores (with 5 BNC-to-RCA adapters. I'm using one such cable now, but for a second-computer input to my ViewSonic 21-inch monitor.) BTW, trust you exhausted any menu or 'tweaking' adjustments with your hookup attempts. My RPTV has quite a few such options when connecting inputs such as these, several modifying sync properties. Perhaps your Faroudja has menu tweaks that vary sync, too.-- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just so y'all know. The 2000HD box comes with the outputs set to component. If you need the RGBHV signal you have to switch the 3 jumpers that are near the output jacks INSIDE the box. The problem is that the box has tamperproof screws on the outside to keep you from getting inside. The tamperproof screws are the star-wrench type with the pin in the middle of the star. You need a hollow point star-wrench to remove them.....or, bust the pin out of the middle and use a regular star-wrench.

Maybe if you let the installers know in advance that you need the RGBHV connections they can change them before they come out. Heh heh, that's pretty funny now that I think of it. None of the installers here even know what RGBHV is. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

JohnR

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John Mason

Please tell me how it goes.

I understand the 2000HD has 5 rca connectors for rgbhv output, jumper selected as you say. In theory, I should just be able to use a rgbhv->vga breakout cable to connect those 5 leads to the vga input of my plasma.

The reason I'm worried: I'm not able to do that with the rgbhv output of my faroujda. The plasma doesn't sync to it (though my nec crt, which takes in rgbhv works just fine). To complicate things, when I feed the rgbhv to the NEC crt through a vga amplifier, the nec doesn't work.

I suppose "rgbhv" and vga have different sync polarity and sync volatge standards?

Another possibility is to take the 3 wire component out of the 2000HB, and go through a component->vga transcoder.

My display devices don't allow me the option of directly using component inputs.

BTW, regarding the sync options. The faroudja has no menu options (and I bet the twc box doesn't either). The plasma does, but I didn't tear my hair out trying to get it to work, because I'd have other problems. I have another vga source: my htpc. I also drive two displays: the nec crt and plasma screen. I drive the two displays through an extron vga distribution amp. The nec crt (which works when directly fed the rgbhv) doesn't work when I feed it rgbhv through the distribution amp. So even if I did get my plasma to work by fiddling with its menus, I wouldn't be able to use the distribution amp.

The problem above could just be with the faroudja, but it is an indication that I'd have similar with the twc box. If ANYONE has a vga monitor working with the twc box, that would be a good sign.

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnRichmond
Quote:
Maybe if you let the installers know in advance that you need the RGBHV connections they can change them before they come out
When you put it that way, I guess I had better pick up a transcoder for $200. Feels stupid to do so, but I'll feel even more stupid when nothing works.

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Which Faroudja are you using? I have a VGA monitor presently hooked up to my DVP2200. Works fine. The RGBVH is hooked up to my Dwin HD700 and also works fine at the same time.

I did have to build a sync inverter to allow an RCA DTC-100 work with my Dwin projector (cost about $40 in parts, virtually all of that cost a good VGA cable). I tried several VGA monitors which all seemed tolerant to either positive or negative sync (as opposed to my Dwin projector which needs negative sync).

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using the vp301. It has both rgbhv and vga out. The vga works fine, the rgbhv doesn't.

Weird, my plasma and the vga distribution amp works fine with the dtc100.

What really bothered me was that placing either a belkin or extron vga distribution amp broke the nec's ability to sync.

I decided to get the key digital transcoder. You can switch it to both positive and negative sync voltages. $200 is cheap insurance.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
711 Posts
I agree that it's cheap insurance. It bugged me to pay extra to get the projector to work, and took a tremendous amount of research to find an old circuit that would work to invert the sync, and it really was a little scary the first time I hooked it up. That being said, it works great.

I do find it fascinating that CRT computer monitors adjust to sync differences instantly, and CRT front projectors can only handle specific sync polarities (at least in the case of my Dwin).

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So then, its official. There is NObody on avs forum using an SA2000HD with rgbhv?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
So then, its official. There is NObody on avs forum using an SA2000HD with rgbhv?

Well, I am for what it's worth. (only because I had the security star wrench at my house- I have my vcr/stereo repair business here)

JohnR

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John!

Whats polarity is the sync pulse?

where are the jumpers?

Any difference in quality?

Where do buy a star wrench?

Anything wrong?

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
John!

Whats polarity is the sync pulse?

where are the jumpers?

Any difference in quality?

Where do buy a star wrench?

Anything wrong?

Sync pulse polarity:

H/C sync - Pos

V sync - Pos

Sync on green - Neg

Jumpers are located inside the box in the rear near the RGBHV jacks. They are the only jumpers in the unit. There are 3 of them.

Star wrench must be a security type star wrench which means it has a hole in the center of the star. I got mine in a kit from a local electronics/computer supply house.

Quality wise I have no other HDTV to compare to since we have no broadcast HDTV here. Also, I only have RGBHV inputs so I can't comment on component output. There does seem to be the "haze" issue which John Mason was discussing in the other thread.

The other problem is my box does not output the DD5.1 that TWC is transmitting here. I have a regular SA2100 box in the bedroom and it outputs DD5.1 fine. Others have had the same problem with their original SA2000HD box.

Hope this helps

JohnR

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks john. What are the jumper settings?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
636 Posts
There are 3 pins in a line for each jumper. The shorting peg connects the center pin to one outside pin. Move the shorting peg so that it connects the center pin to the other outside pin. It's hard to describe but once you see it you'll know what to do.

JohnR

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks John. I'll get my box set up with component, then will track down a start wrench and play with it afterwards. I can also test to see if rgbhv gives out a better signal.

I take it alarm bells don't go off if you open the box

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Just to add my 2cents, I was never able to get the SA 2000HD RGBHV to work with my Barco 808S either. I don't think it was a synch problem as my colors were way off (all green little or no red and blue). I tried two different 2000HD boxes with the same results and ended up going the component route using a Key Digital Component to RGB encoder. I've been told that there are people here in Central Florida using the RGBHV setting but I have yet to meet one.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worth much more than 2 cents. Real life information helps save countless numbers of man hours if I end up with a similar problem

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think this topic is relevant to me, here's what's going on.

Next week I have both a Hitachi 36SDX01S and TW HD cable box coming in, and already have a DVD player with (duh) component out. This TV has only one set of component in (bummer), but has two VGA in. Unfortunately, my current receiver does not have componet pass-thru and selection (if it did I wouldn't be asking this question).

So, what do I have to do (if anything is possible) to make it so that I can get the SA box from TW to use one fo the VGA ports if possible, and hook the DVD to the only component set? Note, I will also have a HTPC connected to the other VGA port.

If I understand this thread correct, *IF* I get a 2000HD STB, then I need to either have the installers to make some mods to it to enable the correct outputs?

I've been eyeing that Onkyo 989, might be time to upgrade... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Regards,

Ryan Rogers

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl:
Just to add my 2cents, I was never able to get the SA 2000HD RGBHV to work with my Barco 808S either. I don't think it was a synch problem as my colors were way off (all green little or no red and blue). I tried two different 2000HD boxes with the same results and ended up going the component route using a Key Digital Component to RGB encoder. I've been told that there are people here in Central Florida using the RGBHV setting but I have yet to meet one.

Tom
The green picture is exactly what you will get when you try to connect a component output to a RGBHV input. All the 2000HD boxes come set for component output. You have to swap the 3 jumpers on the inside to make it a RGBHV output.

JohnR

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RhinoDude

Regarding having the installer set the jumpers.

My installer just arrived. However, he didn't know what HDTV was. He didn't have the box, in fact didn't know what box he needed. He's supposed to come later with the right box.

I'm in NYC; installation is subcontracted out to a firm called city communications.

I highly doubt your installer will be ready, willing, or able to set the internal jumpers, at least not if you're in NYC.

You will need to convert the component out from the twc box to vga. You need a Y-Pr-Pb to RGBHV Transcoder. Try one from http://www.copperbox.com/lite/xcoders.php

I (obviously) haven't tried this yet. Will report later today if it works.

------------------

Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.