AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to use 3m 90 spray tack on r13 insulation and the inside of a sonotube with the plastic peeled off and it would not stick well because the insulation sucked up all then glue.

I threw away the insulation becaus eI figured it was not needed then got advice that I REALLY should use something. Now I have the ports and some bracing in place so I can only parcially cover the sides if needed.

I need to know:

1. in a 6' x 25" sono do I need stuffing for standing waves and decay time?

2. Would a rubber coating do the same job of reducing resonance?

3. Is there any other adhesive or stuffing I can get locally at lowes or home depot or michaels (craft chain)?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
1. Yes, 6 foot will give you a nasty end to end resonance.

2. Rubber coating will not do it. You could use egg-crate style foam lining the tube, polyfill ( I used whole pillows in mine ) or fiberglass / rockwool.

You would want to keep fiberglass/ rockwool or polyfill in a pillowcase, as it will keep loose fibers from going into the sub driver and also getting blown out the port.

3. Have you tried hot melt glue?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it need to be end to end? Will doing just asd much as I can do?

Part of my tube (top 2 feet or so) is totally unable to be reached...

Hot glue just seems so weak but I guess... It was always horrible when you used it in school as stuff.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Ideally, you don't want to put things between the driver and the port that will block all free air movement. IE, don't shove your pillows in the sonotube and create a plug; try to pack them around the port. Insulation works well around the walls of the tube because it does not make that plug I was talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts