AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine and I are going down to Denver on Friday to seriously look for speakers, however the brands (Totem, B&W, Alon, etc.) we're looking for specifically are (sadly) not available via the internet.

Personally, I haven't really shopped hard for new speakers in about 17 years and was wondering what range of discounts I should realistically be asking for at a dealer (probably not a chain store).

10% or 15%? Is 20% off retail not in the cards? I know if you say nothing, they probably will gladly sell to you at full retail, but that's something I'm not really prepared to do, especially since the dealer markup can be almost obscene depending on the speaker.

I could sure use some advice on how to best go about negotiating with these types of dealers.

Thanks a bunch!

Dan

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Check the prices on ebay and around the web, for the used models close to what you want, research helps a ton on big ticket items.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you're in CO, why not stop by and audition the speaker offerings from AV123. After all they are in your neck of the woods and offer products that will give almost every brand a good run for your money...assuming you like the sound...Few folks have the luxury of checking out AV123's showroom so you might want to take advantage of that...and if you like what you see and hear, you'll be able to save yourself lots of money...

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you haven't yet built a relationship with the saleguys/ store.. 5- 10 percent is all you're getting..

however.. after building some relationship.. you can get stuffs for up to 20 percent off.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dan,

When I went to buy my speakers, I tried angling a discount and had moderate success. The place where I bought my NHT's explained to me that NHT tightly regulates the price they sell them for. I don't think they were feeding me a line. However, I was able to negotiate some pretty good speaker wire and a Marantz universal as part of the package deal. I just bought my receiver as well, and used my dad's purchasing power (approx. $20,000 worth of stuff) to get a heck of a deal on a Pioneer Elite 45TX. So, as GreatBop mentioned, after building a better relationship with the dealer, you can usually get a little more. Just remember, it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've decided to go with a pair of B&W DM604's in the near future, and another pair for the rear later. My friend thought they were also great for the price and will more than likely get a pair before I can.

The salesman we talked with was willing to work with us on the pricing more than I expected he would.

The size and weight distribution is also a plus. You sit down and the tweeters are at exactly the right ear-level height, and the speakers are not wobbly or top heavy at all without having to buy extra stands for them (as with the Rocket 750's). They're heavy SOB's too!

The Polk LSi line also uses the exact same Vifa tweeter as the Rocket's. I've also read reviews of other speakers that use the same Vifa ring tweeter and they come to the same conclusions I did when listening two extensive times to the Polk's. On certain frequencies on certain musical and vocal passages the sound takes on an unnatural quality. Hard to describe, but there nonetheless, and somewhat distracting.

The B&W's DM604's, to me, had a better balance between high's, mid's, and low's than from some speakers I listened to, even the JM-Focal Labs models around the same price range, or even slightly higher (around $2,000 a pair). The imaging was IMHO superb for $1,400 speakers (luckily, I can get them for less). There are always certain build and sonic compromises to be made at specific price points, and I believe they favored the B&W's for now.

That's not to say that there aren't better speakers out there than the DM604's (and I've heard them-- although they were another $800 or more per pair), but I know at least B&W will be around for a while and I can also pick up some matching speakers down the road a spell (I still remember the internet broohaha over the Swan Diva's, but then that line got dumped). Some peace of mind anyhow.

Again, thanks for the help!

Dan

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
well.. what it all boils down to.. is you went home with a grin on your face..

enjoy..
yep, this is EXACTLY what it is all about! as long as you're satisfied with what you hear...:)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
...(I still remember the internet broohaha over the Swan Diva's, but then that line got dumped)...
surprise!!! the Divas are back again! :)

actually, my friend had a similar experience w/ B&Ws...he started with the 603s1s and by the time he was ready to purchase a center and rears, guess what? the series 1s were discontinued having been replaced by the series 2s! so he purchased a S2 center and surrounds only to find that the timbre didn't match well with the S1s...so he ended up upgrading the 603s1s to 604s2s about a year later...only to find that when he was ready to do so, the s2s had been discontinued with the s3s ready to be released!!! :rolleyes: well, his dealer was able to locate a pair of 604s2s for him so his system matches now but, he's constantly wondering how much better the s3s are! :)

all manufacturers need to revamp and improve their current product lines to survive...this is what fuels consumerism...and their income statements and profits...and allows them to survive...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.