AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some help with some automation.

I have a Monoprice whole home audio unit 6x6 matrix. 6 zone 6 source. Speakers in each room of the home for music. Each zone can control what source they want to listen to. The unit also has a PA input (RCA) and a PA Input 12V Trigger Input as shown in the diagram below. I am trying to automate two functions but am a bit confused how it will actually be done.

1. I want to use a wireless microphone to send paging notices to all zones using the 1/PA RCA source input and the PA 12Vdc input paging trigger.
(So when i turn on the wireless mic the unit senses that "oh hey" the paging mics on and automatically switches all zones to PA source input and then once i turn off the mic it goes back to normal)

2. I also want to use an echo dot (or some other device) to play alarm announcements automatically at several times during the day through this unit. For example at 5am play audio 1, 2pm audio 2, 6pm audio 3 etc. Like a set routine that automatically comes on and goes away once the announcement is done. Again i want to use the PA input source and the PA 12vdc trigger inputs to achieve this. The echo dot I believe has an AUX 3.5mm output.

I have a few ideas like using a mixer and some form of an audio signal relay switch sensor such as Cebek PM-11 | Audio Signal Controlled Relay Switch Module | Quasar UK

I'm just really confused how to do this and if it will all work. I'm assuming there must be an easier way which you lovely experts can point me towards.

Thanks in advance

I
mono.png

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Bogen VAR-1 will activate relay based on audio, similar to that device you linked. I've used the Bogen piece before and it's reliable.

You could feed both devices into something like an RDL ST-VP2 which is a small ducking module, then the output of that into the Bogen. You will probably need to feed a 12v power supply into the relay, as that Monoprice device doesn't have a contact closure only a 12v trigger input.

Keep in mind you have a MIC with probably mono output, an Amazon NSA spybox with stereo output, the RDL has balanced mono input, bogen has a single unbalanced output you will have to "y" etc. None of this is difficult to overcome you just have to know how to wire this stuff

You can also buy a Biamp Nexia and the logic box off of eBay. Can probably get both for $75. This way would be cleaner since you can do all the mixing and ducking in the DSP, but will require some DSP programming.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bogen VAR-1 will activate relay based on audio, similar to that device you linked. I've used the Bogen piece before and it's reliable.

You could feed both devices into something like an RDL ST-VP2 which is a small ducking module, then the output of that into the Bogen. You will probably need to feed a 12v power supply into the relay, as that Monoprice device doesn't have a contact closure only a 12v trigger input.

Keep in mind you have a MIC with probably mono output, an Amazon NSA spybox with stereo output, the RDL has balanced mono input, bogen has a single unbalanced output you will have to "y" etc. None of this is difficult to overcome you just have to know how to wire this stuff

You can also buy a Biamp Nexia and the logic box off of eBay. Can probably get both for $75. This way would be cleaner since you can do all the mixing and ducking in the DSP, but will require some DSP programming.
Thank you so much for that. I checked out the units online and see that the Bogen and the RDL units are quite pricey. If I decide to go down the Biamp Nexia + Logic box route does that mean i wouldn't need the Bogen and RDL units? Also how hard would programming the nexia be? I am tech savvy enough to open the software up and be able to connect the boxes etc. But in regards to the gain mixing, compressing, ducking, setting triggers etc etc i will struggle there.

In regards to the mono stereo balanced unbalanced issue i should be able to rewire the stereo to mono cables etc. I can use a soldering iron decently etc.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That would be in place of the RDL and Bogen. You can always find the RDL and Bogen used as well, brand new they can be pricey.

I only suggested that so you can duck the audio from one of your sources with the other - there's plenty of generic mixers you can find to just feed both sources in.

Using the Nexia and logic box are complete and total overkill for what you want to do. But, they can be picked up so cheap it's worth considering. A Nexia VC is like $30 used. It sucks to waste space with an entire logic box for a single output.

The Nexia are old enough they didn't have the logic I/O built in. You can look for other DSP that does have it built in so you would have everything you need in 1U of rack space. Older QSC or BSS, Symetrix, maybe a Biamp Tesira.

I've never used logic outputs to drive a 12v trigger, normally you use them for LEDs or to drive a relay but I don't see why it wouldn't work as it should be similar to driving an LED. Wiring LED's and relays to the Logic Box and Voltage Control Box

As far as doing the DSP work, it's not rocket science and not really difficult at all. But, I've been doing it a long time so I'm somewhat biased. You can always download the Nexia software and take a look

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That would be in place of the RDL and Bogen. You can always find the RDL and Bogen used as well, brand new they can be pricey.

I only suggested that so you can duck the audio from one of your sources with the other - there's plenty of generic mixers you can find to just feed both sources in.

Using the Nexia and logic box are complete and total overkill for what you want to do. But, they can be picked up so cheap it's worth considering. A Nexia VC is like $30 used. It sucks to waste space with an entire logic box for a single output.

The Nexia are old enough they didn't have the logic I/O built in. You can look for other DSP that does have it built in so you would have everything you need in 1U of rack space. Older QSC or BSS, Symetrix, maybe a Biamp Tesira.

I've never used logic outputs to drive a 12v trigger, normally you use them for LEDs or to drive a relay but I don't see why it wouldn't work as it should be similar to driving an LED. Wiring LED's and relays to the Logic Box and Voltage Control Box

As far as doing the DSP work, it's not rocket science and not really difficult at all. But, I've been doing it a long time so I'm somewhat biased. You can always download the Nexia software and take a look
Yes i was taking a look on ebay there are some cheap options for bogen and rdl so i guess ill just wait till i can get a good deal on them. not really in a hurry. DSP seems like a bit of an overkill as you say.

Another few questions I have are:

for the PA page to work; would each zone have to be switched on manually through the wall/zone keypad and put onto source 1/PA? because if that's the case it wouldn't make any sense to have a PA function in the first place.
Or would the zone user have to put the source back onto source 1 PA and leave the zone on when he/she has finished using the system? And if that is the case then would the speakers humm or buzz if they are on with source 1 PA but no page signal actually being fed in?
Or is it that if several zones are turned off and a PA signal is received by the PA input souce 1 then the matrix somehow will turn on those "off" zones automatically?

bit confused

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I would assume the PA function should duck and play over all other zones but I can't tell you for certain, I've never used that Monoprice device before. If it doesn't tell you in the manual it should be easy to test. Wire up a 12v power supply to the trigger and connect a source to the PA input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts