AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never built a server before but I want one to store my media for my HTPC. The case that looks cool and was suggested to me was the coolermaster stacker. I see it listed online for $150. It says extend ATX 12"x13" mainboard. I assume it doesnt come with a motherboard, but those are the specs that it will accept.

The same online retailer sells some cheap MB/processor combos for $100 to $200 (like 1 to 2GHZ AMD) but I dont know if they fit the case. Theres a bunch of numbers after the MB, but I think those are like cache and pipeline or whatever other specs. I dont need anything great since its just a server. If the MB has a built in crappy video card, that would be ideal.

Also I plan on installing linux, the one with the special distro that just works as a fileserver. I forget the name, anyone know it?

Any other suggestions for me?

·
Registered
565 Posts
snickersbar,

The Coolermaster Stacker does not come with a motherboard or a power supply. It has room for two power supplies because it is designed to hold 12 hard drives. It comes with one 4 into 3 hard drive cage that can hold 4 hard drives where 3 normally go in the hard drive mounting rack. I have two of them, but only have 6 drives installed because 5 of them are in mobile racks and have their own cooling fans. The Stacker weighs a ton with only 6 drives installed so I can image how much it will weigh with 12 drives installed. However, it is solidly built and comes with everything that you need to get started at what I feel is a reasonable price. I got mine at mwave.com for $155 plus $10 shipping which is cheaper than newegg.com.

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you need to do a bit more reading before you buy and try to assemble a PC from scratch. With all the memory speeds, processor sockets, and etc. available today you need to be somewhat familiar with what you're getting into or you'll be wasting money.

The stacker will take ATX and is convertable for BXT motherboard types.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I find a MB/processor combo that fits inside? I would prefer to buy a cheapo combo MB/processer set that has a built in VGA graphics adapter.

·
Registered
565 Posts
snickersbar,

I used an older Asus motherboard that had an AMD Athlon 2400 CPU and 512GB of memory on it along with a built-in NIC and used a cheap Nvidia video card. I use Window XP Pro as the operating system and it works very well as a file server. I have XP set up to come out of Standby with WOL. Works every time without having to use a "magic packet".

Regards,

TCIII

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickersbar
How do I find a MB/processor combo that fits inside? I would prefer to buy a cheapo combo MB/processer set that has a built in VGA graphics adapter.

I also use a Asus A7V880 with Gigabit lan(does WOL without magic packet). Using an older duron 1 gig CPU with 1.5TB of storage that wakes up within 5 seconds from suspend mode. I just used an older videocard that I had laying around, no biggie.

Jim

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I was just thinking about this because I've got a media server and I've just gone out to buy more external drive cases. After purchasing the cases I tought... why not a better case?!?!

I see the CM stacker has lots of space but was wondering about the powersupply(s) I have. THen I thought if I could use two, then I decided you can't because of grounding issues and such. Is that true? Can you really use two different powersupplies in one box with all the components? I've had bad luck trying things like that before, so I just wanted to be sure.

Do folks really think the stacker is one of the best? I was searching for reviews then decided the AVS guys would know best... so what's the verdict and are there any other good ones with that space for around that price?

You guys get the extra special fan for extra circulation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.