AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting the HF 100 high def canon camcorder but now that im hearing about the hfs 100 im not sure what to do. First of all how much better is the video quality of the HF 100 vs the FS 100. I cant decide if its worth it for me to get HD. what do you all think about that? also Im pretty sure i want a flash camcorder but again im not sure. With the hfs coming out i cant decide if i should wait for it or not. How much is it going to be and im not even clear on what the differences are between the hfs 100 and the hf 100? Also is there maybe a different brand that would be better? I always trusted canon but theres a hi def panasonic out there that sounded ok and its cheaper too so what would you guys reccomend? Im just looking to make some moves for fun and do some editing on my comp maybe for school projects. Im in college and considering a film major. I dont have a lot of money but i figure it would be better to spend a little more and get a decent camcorder. Any help or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
they are all decent camcorders... what is the longest you can wait before purchasing? because the prices on the new camcorders will be high when they are first released, you might not be able to afford the new stuff until several months after it comes out.

do you have a fast computer?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Will waiting a month or two make any difference? Currently, I can find a HF10 for about $600.

Is a fast PC needed for the HD copying of material to DVD?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted it sooner but im not really in a hurry. Is the hfs 100 a lot better than the hf 100? i have a macbook pro the tiger one. i can find the hf 100 for about 530.

·
Registered
366 Posts
waiting a month won't be enough.

as far as pc, P4 3ghz works alright for me...

·
Registered
38 Posts
For editing you would probably want the least compressed codec out there in this price range. MPEG2 is the way to go and can be had with the Canon HV20, HV30, and now I believe the HV40. You can go the harddrive storage type camcorders however the codec is AVCHD which is even more compressed.

Plenty of prosumers and film enthusiast have gone with this camera and souped it up with all sorts of gadgets like 35mm adaptors, follow focus, etc. many times exceeding the cost of the camera itself. Thats because of the superior optics and codec used.

If you want to just burn a DVD with a simple transfer and be done with it get the harddrive camera. If you want make movie clips to be edited on your computer then get the HV30, or HV40

1 - 7 of 7 Posts