AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some people over tonite for ufc and tomorrow for the super bowl (GO CAROLINA) and i am sick of my tv looking this way thru regular standard tv (hooked up thru svideo using utv direct tv) AND UNFORTUNLY I WASNT ABLE TO GET THE HDTV RECEIVER I THOUGHT I WOULD HAD BY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been a while but i did come on here lookin for the answer b4 but got busy and got out of it....... can anybody help me get a acceptable picture..... THANKS ALOT

·
Registered
191 Posts
q-live,

the HDTV receiver would've been your best bet, especially if you can pick up OTA local broadcasts in your location.

If your using a standard DirecTV receiver, do you have component outputs? If not Svideo may be your best connection. I've read where others have claimed better PQ using coax or composite, but I find that hard to believe....

Your choices are pretty limited here...if you do have good reception for local channels, you could run out and buy an HD stb...and be online for an HD superbowl, not HD UFC tho, until you upgrade your dish also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One key to getting a good SD picture is to turn the sharpness way down...like 20 or so in the user menu. You can play with the brightness and contrast...I find that different shows and different stations sometimes need different settings. But sharpness is the key. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was looking in my service menu..... and i notice somebody said b4 to turn your gamma from 4 to 5 but didnt see that anywhere in there...... also i dont no if this helps but it says at the bottem of the menu that my tv was release in apr 22 2003 and the firm ware is t-b3k##o1-209 !!!!!! do i need a firmware upgrade and will that help the picture any ?????? also i already have a oval dish that i bought seperatly thinking i would have the receiver by now..... but i havent put it up........ DAM DAM DAM THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZYYYYYYYYY

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PLEASE HURRY..... TIME IS RUNNING OUT.... I HAVE TILL 10 TONITE AND THEN THE SUPERBOWL TOMRROW.!!!!!!!! SO WHATS THE BEST SETTINGS THAT I SHOULD USE AND HOW DO I GET THERE ?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts

Originally posted by q-live
... it says at the bottom of the menu that my tv was release in apr 22 2003 and the firm ware is t-b3k##o1-209 !!!!!! do i need a firmware upgrade and will that help the picture any ??????
The main reason for getting a firmware upgrade is to have discrete commands available. They start with firmware version 214.

Sometimes it is just too late to do anything. I think you may have waited too long for this Superbowl. Maybe the next one.

The Samsung DirecTV STB also has an OTA tuner in it. If you have a CBS station that provides a strong OTA signal to your house you might be able to make the Superbowl by buying that.

Who took so long to provide you with the HD STB you need?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i figure somebody in here has got some good settings they could pm me with if they didnt wanna put it out in the form....... i guess its near to late but somebody might be able to hook me up wit a hdtv reciever for tomorrow the only thing is its not gonna have dvi on it its just gonna be componet level........ now will i have problems on my componet level inputs like sd tv?????? or since its hdtv it should be ok???????

·
Registered
345 Posts
If your watching HD, components will be all you need. I assume you have an antenna already if you plan to pick up the OTA signal for CBS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JUST MY LUCK I AINT GONNA BE ABLE TO GET DA HDTV RIGHT NOW AGAIN.... SO LIKE I SAID B4>>> I NEED THE BEST SETTINGS ON A SVIDEO OUTPUT

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Maybe you just yank out that old CRT TV for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.