Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For around $650-700 I can get the following:

Sharp LC37D64U

Toshiba 37AV502U

LG 37LG30

Refurb Sony KDL-37M4000 with 3 yr warranty direct from Sony

I understand that the Sharp is the only 1080P set out of this bunch, but I've read that it doen not matter much on a set this size. The Sharp is higher end model than the LG and Toshiba, but is also a little older model. I thought at first I would get the Sharp but I am concerned about everything I've read about banding issues and about component video inputs failing. I have checked the local stores and I've seen the LG, Toshiba, and the D44U Sharp unit and they all seemed acceptable picture wise, but of course the set-ups were crappy and couldn't tell a whole lot from the source material. The Sharp did seem to bleach out from a extreme vertical angle more than the other two, but it appeared that it was set up way brighter than the LG and Toshiba and I probalby wouldn't be watching TV from that angle anyway. From what I've read, PQ is a noticeable step up on the D64U vs the D44U. Any thoughts, or anything else anyone can think of to consider? I unfortunately can not go higher in price, so please no higher end alternatives.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 525U is not available in a 37" and I can't fit a 40" in my cabinet (with exception of the Sony XBR6 and Z-series which are out of my price range.)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15505891

why can't you for 750 you could get a toshiba 525u.

good call, dude. i was just looking at the 502u, but now it's 525u all the way for me.

op, tv stand ftw. lol.

edit:

700 bucks on amazon.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper /forum/post/15526550

i don't know what the price is, but i would look at the 37" panny

+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently received the LG 37LG30 for Christmas and have to say Im really pleased with it.

The set has extensive picture controls and you can get a really nice picture by tinkering.

Try Cnet's settings and a member here named MoonRabbit79 has posted some really nice settings that look good too.

It has all the connectivity you might want, sound is ok straight form the set, and physically the set looks good.

HD channels through Time Warner look outstanding and SD actually looks decent too.

Its a nice low cost entry into LCD and HDTV, with a lot of features and for my needs I couldnt be happier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts