AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main criterion is reliability so at the moment I'm looking at a Samsung HU8550 but I'm open to other suggestions. My secondary concern is full UHD compatibility. So for example I believe the 8550 can handle 4k Amazon streaming and has all HDMI 2.0 compatible inputs.

Cost is not a primary concern but I'm not interested in "smart tv" features although I understand that these often come with the territory.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
While I'm a Samsung owner and fan were I limiting myself to a 55" and wanted the best, the LG OLED 55" would blow away the 55HU8550.

I've considered the 75HU8550 as an upgrade to my 65F8000 but we're so close to CES we're weeks away and want to see what new is planned before deciding. Also hoping the 65" OLED gets a price reduction during the next 6 months.

Go audition the 55" OLED and see for yourself the black levels are far superior - it can be obtained for around $3K. Cleveland Plasma a Forum Sponsor has the LG reduced below the B&M's.

As to Smart features you simply won't have a choice as virtually every panel will incorporate it and several manu will be using Android TV in 2015. No different than your cell phone or tablet you simply selectively choose what you want to use or turn off any nag features built-in they make money off of.:)

Reactions: dexyth

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I agree with Westa6969, if you want the best picture quality, the Oled is the one to get. If you really want to get into 4K , than the HU8550 is your best bet. That one or the Sony XBR850.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I'm a Samsung owner and fan were I limiting myself to a 55" and wanted the best, the LG OLED 55" would blow away the 55HU8550.

I've considered the 75HU8550 as an upgrade to my 65F8000 but we're so close to CES we're weeks away and want to see what new is planned before deciding. Also hoping the 65" OLED gets a price reduction during the next 6 months.

Go audition the 55" OLED and see for yourself the black levels are far superior - it can be obtained for around $3K. Cleveland Plasma a Forum Sponsor has the LG reduced below the B&M's.

As to Smart features you simply won't have a choice as virtually every panel will incorporate it and several manu will be using Android TV in 2015. No different than your cell phone or tablet you simply selectively choose what you want to use or turn off any nag features built-in they make money off of.:)
Thanks but aren't almost all OLED sets still 1080p? Also, I remember reading a year or 2 ago about organic leds breaking down over time, although I could be remembering that incorrectly. The set will be on pretty much 24/7 in my house so durability is a serious concern. One year of use here will be equivalent to maybe 2-3 years of use in a normal household.

Also, doesn't the 8550 use local dimming? I imagine that you still probably don't get the same rich blacks and colors of OLED but is it worth the trade off in resolution?

I do agree with your point about CES. It may be worth holding off to see what is coming down the pike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts