AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted for help on whether an HDMI upscaling dvd player will outdo a standard progressive scan via component cables with my 30" widescreen panasonic CRT in the tube tv forums.

Jury is still out, not many responses as to what people think... But I figure I might as well just keep researching. I am thinking I'd like to spend no more then 200 dollars on a dvd player. First of all, if anyone can weigh in on HDMI vs component with CRTs, the experience would be much welcomed. Other then that, I have no clue where to begin with finding a dvd player that will be high quality and a decent price.

I have been looking at denons purely because my receiver is a denon and I am quite satisfied with the quality. I saw the thread here about the denon 1920 and it's problems with it's MB, I am not quite sure I understood what the problem is but it does concern me.

Other then that, I have been told to look at panasonics and samsungs, but I've only seen info on older models that are hard to purchase now, not the newer models.

The TV I will be using this DVD player for is a Panasonic CT-30WX15, the specs for which can be found on panasonic's website under "Tau series pureflat TVs"

basic specs:

30" 16:9 widescreen

480p, 1080i capable

HDMI input

Not sure what other info might be needed, and even if someone could just point me in the right general direction, I would appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
MB is a potential problem with all DVD players using the current Faroudja chip. It is very display dependent, however, and is more of a problem with plasmas than CRTs. The 1920 is getting very good reviews, so you might want to give it a try. Just buy it from a store wiht a good return policy in case you do get bad MB with your display. Note that most players (including the 1920) do not upscale over component, but the 1920 is a good progressive scan player in any case, and plays DVD-A and SACD as well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There are cheap HDMI players in this part of the World by Toshiba, GIEC, ... at around USD150 - definitely not based on Faroudja but I have no idea on the PQ.

And you can count Yamaha 2500's twin brother, Philips DVP9000S, to have MB ... I see it on LCD displays but not on Barco CRT projector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.