AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy an A/V Receiver for some Polk Audio RM 6750 speakers that I bought last week. I'm really not much of an audio guy so I'm having trouble choosing a receiver. I was considering the following:

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Onkyo TX-SR575 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Sony STRDG720 7.1 Audio Video Receiver

I will have my HD cable box, ps3, and Wii hooked up to it, which will then go to my Sharp 46" LC46D64U 1080p.

I'm definitely open to any other suggestions as well, but I'm hoping to stay somewhere in the $250ish or under range (on a semi-tight budget). Can anyone recommend one over another? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
IIRC, the 720 is the only one of the 4 that can process audio over HDMI (no separate digital audio cables needed). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 720 will also handle lossless multichannel PCM decoded from TrueHD/DTS-MA by a player like a PS3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems after more researching, a lot of people are suggesting either Yamaha RX-V663 or Onkyo TX-SR606 for a fairly entry level receiver. It it really going to make a difference between the cheaper models I previously mentioned with my current setup (Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers with a PS3, HD cable box, Wii to a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos)? I guess between these two it comes down to pre-outs with the Yamaha 663 vs extra HDMI slots with the Onkyo 606. I really don't plan on upgrading the Polk RM6750's I just got so I doubt I'll be using amps anywhere in the nearby future so do I really need the pre-outs? Anything else to consider? I've just been using the build-in TV speakers, so anything is going to be an improvement.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If I were you, I would concentrate on features, and any annoying usability issues (as documented in the model specific threads.)

Also, room correction systems differ on these receivers. It's hard to quantify how well they work, but if you are interested, read up on these systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/14338150

If I were you, I would concentrate on features, and any annoying usability issues (as documented in the model specific threads.)

Also, room correction systems differ on these receivers. It's hard to quantify how well they work, but if you are interested, read up on these systems.

I'm finding it difficult to really judge, beyond the fact that I know next to nothing when it comes to receivers, because it seems all of these, including the cheaper models, have gotten really good reviews (at least according to Amazon).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having a hard time deciding between buying the Onkyo 506 (open box for $180) or spending nearly double that on the Yamaha 663 (new at $350). Is it really worth spending twice as much for the Yamaha considering my setup (i.e. will the difference be noticeable enough to justify the price difference to my wife)?

Sharp LC46D64U 1080p TV

Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers

PS3

Wii

HD cable box

Again, I'm really just looking for something that sounds significantly better than the build-in TV speakers. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest. I know you guys can't make my mind up for me, but any suggestions considering the above?

Also, my local Fry's has the Harman Kardib AVR 347 priced at $337. Would this be a better option? The retail, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, is much higher for this receiver.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogax /forum/post/14344001

I'm having a hard time deciding between buying the Onkyo 506 (open box for $180) or spending nearly double that on the Yamaha 663 (new at $350). Is it really worth spending twice as much for the Yamaha considering my setup (i.e. will the difference be noticeable enough to justify the price difference to my wife)?

Again, I'm really just looking for something that sounds significantly better than the build-in TV speakers. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest. I know you guys can't make my mind up for me, but any suggestions considering the above?

Im just one person, but my vote is to return the speaker set, go cheaper like that 506, or even less for 505, then buy one pair of decent speakers for say $350. Your wife, her mom, your dog, everyone will totally notice the improvement, and hence you will be much more likely to be given permission to spend more later.

My strong opinion.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Future Proof

Brand new in the box with 2 year warranty

Or

Open Box

Your call

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14344571

Im just one person, but my vote is to return the speaker set, go cheaper like that 506, or even less for 505, then buy one pair of decent speakers for say $350. Your wife, her mom, your dog, everyone will totally notice the improvement, and hence you will be much more likely to be given permission to spend more later.

My strong opinion.

Haha... Noted, but I think I got a really good deal on the RM6750's. Got them for $180 (Fry's had them for $200 and I got a 110% price match at Circuit City who were selling it for $400) so I don't think I'll beat these for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/14344739

Future Proof

Brand new in the box with 2 year warranty

Or

Open Box

Your call

Yeah, but also a $170 difference

I may, down the road, but not for a while, upgrade, but it will definitely be a good while if/when I do.

I guess what I'm getting at is considering my current setup, is the Yamaha 663 going to make a serious improvement over the Onkyo 506 for example? I really don't know what to expect between these two, but if so, then I'll probably pull the switch for the Yamaha 663. If it's not much of an improvement, and to really notice a difference I would have to upgrade my other equipment, then I think I'll go with the cheaper Onkyo 506. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Small improvement for the lossless audio. Im pretty sure 50x series is pass thru video only.

Since you are using entry level, small HTIB type speakers, the improvement will be minimal. If even discernable at all.

That $170 + the price of the Polk set gets you at least to the range of a decent pair of speakers. I would take a pair of Ascend 170 SE over that Polk set in a heartbeat. Just beating a dead horse, don't mind me...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogax /forum/post/14345001

Yeah, but also a $170 difference

That was the same difference for me. Between a used RX-V661 on eBay and a new RX-V663. I'm glad I was outbid.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Spend the extra now and get the HDMI sound. Your PS3 can decode the newest HD lossless codecs but the receiver needs to be able to pull it out. It makes a HUGE difference in sound.

The Yammy 663, Onkyo 605/606, Pioneer 1018, HK 254 would all be fine choices. I would honestly save a little extra to get to one of those. To me, getting something less makes no sense after you have spent Thousands of dollars for picture quality and are willing to go so cheap on Audio, which in My opinion makes a much larger difference with movies, games, sports/TV.

If this is your first surround setup you are going to be blown away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts