AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I come off a lazy or ignorant on the subject, but that's what I get for being a rookie. I'm new to the HT arena and the vast majority of the research I've done in the past few months (as I waited for my HT-friendly house to be built) has been on projectors (went with the InFocus 4805 for now, and will likely upgrade next year), cables (had never heard of HDMI until a few months ago), etc. and I hadn't put much thought at all into the receiver I'll have in my HT room. The builder installed a 5.1 surround system in the room, with in-wall Klipsch speakers and a subwoofer, but they didn't throw in a receiver. So, can somebody give me a suggestion or two on which receiver to go with?

Here are the constraints/guidelines I'm trying to go with:

1. Don't overspend. That's nebulous because I'm willing to spend $500+ if absolutely necessary, but I'm comfortable with "above average" quality if I can get away with it for $200. Basically, I'm looking for the "bang for the buck" scenario, which is what I believe I'm getting with my InFocus projector.

2. As stated above, I'm prewired for 5.1. I have room in the HT for more speakers if need be, so I'm open to consider 2 floor- or wall-mounted speakers and a 7.1 system. I don't know if a 7.1-capable receiver is worth the extra $, though, so someone please help me with that one.

3. The room is roughly 19.5'x18.5'. I don't know how important that is, but people always seem to ask when it comes to audio questions.

Also, can someone help me out with the video inputs aspect? The guy at Circuit City yesterday was bragging on the capabilities of one receiver (an Onkyo - I forget the model #) because I can feed it multiple component video input lines, and it "consolidates" them into one output line. The receiver is supposed to handle the switching for me, as in when I want to switch from DVD to HD cable, etc., but I think this is moot for me as I'm going with HDMI input from the cable box to the projector. I've also got 6 RGB wires (essentially, 2 sets of 3) already installed in the wall/ceiling to run from the component rack to the projector, rendering the "consolidating" feature moot, also.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, and I bow to everyone's knowledge and throw myself on your mercy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I completely agree with the switching. My projector and dvd player are hdmi. I don't really use the switching on my receiver because I have nothing component. When I get hdtv I want hdmi there also so I plan a 4x1 hdmi switcher which is very pricey. :(

HDMI is expensive to get the rights to and it needs the copyright protection so I guess that is why it hasn't hit receivers yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, since the replies are limited, here are the models I'm currently considering:

Yamaha rxv650 or 750

Denon 2805

Denon 785S

HK AVR335

Someone help me pick one of those...or suggest one that trumps 'em all :)

BTW, Mash, glad I'm not the only one seeing the switching issue that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lethal-

I'm looking for "bang for the buck" as well in a receiver. Here's what I'm looking at:

Denon 1905/785

Yamaha HTR5860/RXV657

Panasonic SAXR55

I had a chance to listen to a Yamaha 657 against a 2105. I'm not an audiophile, but they both sounded excellent. The 2105 seemed to have a bit more bottom end and I guess you could say "warmer" tone. The Yamaha did sound a little "bright" and "crisp" but certainly not in a bad way. I think preferred the Denon for sound, but liked that the Yamaha had YPAO with Auto-Eq. (done at Tweeter)

I also looked at a Panny XR70 at Fry's. They didn't have one set up in a room and I had to make due listening to an FM radio on a cheap two speaker setup. So I didn't get a good listen. I did get a chance to look it over from a build quality perspective and it didn't seem as solid as the Yamaha or Denon. Specifically one of the knobs seemed to wiggle a little one pulled in either direction....nitpicky, but that's what I came away with. I'm still considering an XR55, just wished I could listen to one first. The price is certainly excellent at Amazon, or at least it was.

Since I've narrowed it down to those three and started looking at online stores, I've started to give up on the Denon, as the refurbs only have a 90 day warranty and it's hard finding a decent online authorized retailer with good ratings at a decent price.

I've also started looking at the HTR5860, commonly found at BestBuy. As I understand the 5860 and RX-V757 are one and the same with only minor cosmetic differences. I could pickup a brand new one with a good warranty for a decent price as well.

So for me, it's down to a Panny XR55 or an HTR-5860 (mostly because of the YPAO w/Auto EQ).

hope this helps. Let us know what you decided to do.

-J

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalweapon4
OK, since the replies are limited, here are the models I'm currently considering:

Yamaha rxv650 or 750

Denon 2805

Denon 785S

HK AVR335

Someone help me pick one of those...or suggest one that trumps 'em all :)

BTW, Mash, glad I'm not the only one seeing the switching issue that way.
Note, the Denon 2805 is the same as a 985. To me, the 2805's Auto EQ didn't work great for me. Returned it today. Favored the sound of my HK over the Denon, in my setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A couple possibilities to add to your list, though they're not actually on the street yet: the JVC RX-D 401/402 series and the RX-D 701/702 series. Both series have HDMI switching (the 401 series has 2 HDMI inputs, the 701 series has 3), both series are 7.1 capable, and the 401 is supposed to have a list price of $549.95 while the 701 is higher at $879.95. See http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=437&pageID=1 for the press release, or check J&R or Vann's for pre-release info. I'm interested in these units because they're HDMI capable, 7.1, and relatively reasonable on cost (a sometimes unusual combination).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, guys - especially the part about the new JVC. It would be nice to get that HDMI switching capability as part of the package.

I was antsy to get *something* installed, so I went to Best Buy and poked around and ended up picking up a Sony. It was $299 and has 7.1 capability, and the THD was only 0.09%, I believe (I'm told that's a decent rating on a key criterion)...I don't remember the model number. Anyway, as I said, I just wanted it hooked up to have some sound when I cranked up my projector for the first time, and I'll take it back if I think I'm really suffering in the performance dept. I can always use it in the office and hook it up to my PC down there if I decide to keep it a while and then upgrade later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.