AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I might have become another one of those people that had a TAW Rock HD die and now I need to choose another one.


From what I can tell reading the many threads on the subject here on AVS, there sure isn't that killer perfect, reliable, low cost VP out there. So after reading everything, I thought maybe you all could help me out. Here is my situation.


I am using a TAW Revolution 3 chip DLP projector (I know, made by the devil, but it looks good). It is 720p, connects with DVI and I plan on using it as long as I can.


My sources are a TAW SDI DVD (don't use much anymore), Dish 622? HD sat, and Pioneer bd80 Blue Ray.


I have some interest in HD SDI because my experience with DVD SDI was good. Actually, I had HD SDI with my Rock.


I also run a 36" HD CRT via component, and a 27" LCD via component but both of these are basically watching Dish, which I could do separately.


I looked at the DVDO VP50pro. They said they would give me a trade in allowance for my Rock which is enticing, but a review of that thread doesn't seem to have a lot of happy people on it. Then there is the EDGE, though I would have to convert the HDMI to DVI and I lose the SDI input possibility.


Thoughts? Maybe try 50pro and if it doesn't work send it back? I realize that I am not asking a great specific question here, but it seems tough these days to do tons of research only to settle for a half good product for a lot of money that will probably be obsolete soon.


Thanks


Randy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiguy /forum/post/16870905


It looks like I might have become another one of those people that had a TAW Rock HD die and now I need to choose another one.


From what I can tell reading the many threads on the subject here on AVS, there sure isn't that killer perfect, reliable, low cost VP out there. So after reading everything, I thought maybe you all could help me out. Here is my situation.


I am using a TAW Revolution 3 chip DLP projector (I know, made by the devil, but it looks good). It is 720p, connects with DVI and I plan on using it as long as I can.


My sources are a TAW SDI DVD (don't use much anymore), Dish 622? HD sat, and Pioneer bd80 Blue Ray.


I have some interest in HD SDI because my experience with DVD SDI was good. Actually, I had HD SDI with my Rock.


I also run a 36" HD CRT via component, and a 27" LCD via component but both of these are basically watching Dish, which I could do separately.


I looked at the DVDO VP50pro. They said they would give me a trade in allowance for my Rock which is enticing, but a review of that thread doesn't seem to have a lot of happy people on it. Then there is the EDGE, though I would have to convert the HDMI to DVI and I lose the SDI input possibility.


Thoughts? Maybe try 50pro and if it doesn't work send it back? I realize that I am not asking a great specific question here, but it seems tough these days to do tons of research only to settle for a half good product for a lot of money that will probably be obsolete soon.


Thanks


Randy

This is a very good question....especially in 2009. Frankly, it's hard not to steer you towards a new receiver/pre-pro with onboard video processing. You would get the benefits of the newer CODEC's in addition to very good video processing capability at a reasonable cost....meaning less than the cost of the Edge. Well...just a thought



Edit: Disregard this post. Clearly not the answer you were looking for.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to ask just that question. Assuming it ever ships, there is that Emotiva pre pro out there for 600 or something like that.


But then there is HD SDI. Don't know what that is worth to me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,276 Posts
Have you considered the Lumagen Radiance? Though it doesn't have the HDSDI, overall it is top performer and it can be had cheaper than a VP50Pro. It also has full CMS, as well as a ton of other features.


Just a thought...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/16874277


Have you considered the Lumagen Radiance? Though it doesn't have the HDSDI, overall it is top performer and it can be had cheaper than a VP50Pro. It also has full CMS, as well as a ton of other features.


Just a thought...

Jason, if I wanted to get some pricing information on one of these, who might I go to?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
174 Posts
Hey!


I bought the Radiance XD from Jason. It is the best video processor of the four I have bought and made the JVC RS2 projector look at least twice as good as it was out of the box. The Radiance price was ultra reasonable at AVS. If you want to take a real step up in all around quality, call Jason and find out if you can get the same price on the Radiance XD that I did.


Cheers, Capnvid
 

· Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but TAW never did anything that was HDCP-compliant. So any video processor that you look at, you need to be aware that the DVI or HDMI inputs, regardless of how many there are, may not be of any use to you because your sources more than likely expect to be connected to an HDCP-compliant device (your projector).


If you know who I am (or more properly who I was) you would know that my recommendation for the Radiance over competitive products is a surprising one.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 /forum/post/16878932


Jason, I think you're going to have to find a brighter red for your signature.

You think?
Seriously, I was almost forced to as I see SO many posts of people asking where to buy stuff, while they don't realize they can buy it from AVS directly (ie. me). I think the signature needs to be bigger.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA /forum/post/16884576


Correct me if I am wrong, but TAW never did anything that was HDCP-compliant. So any video processor that you look at, you need to be aware that the DVI or HDMI inputs, regardless of how many there are, may not be of any use to you because your sources more than likely expect to be connected to an HDCP-compliant device (your projector).


If you know who I am (or more properly who I was) you would know that my recommendation for the Radiance over competitive products is a surprising one.

JoshA--Can you help me better understand what you are saying here? My projector takes a 720p DVI input and I would guess that it wouldn't be HDCP compliant. But I don't know how that matters. What would it do? Would my projector not work?


I like that Lumagen Radiance, but I sure wish my Rock HD had not died. I would much prefer to just stall for a few more years.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and it can exist on a DVI or HDMI interface.


TAW chose to use SDI as interconnects between their processors and DVD-player and never adopted HDCP. Some say this was the death knell of TAW. I am very sure TAW, like every other high end manufacturer, was provided a projector by an OEM that they modified to their tastes. This could be a good thing because it could mean that the projector is HDCP compliant, just that the rest of video processing chain isn't.


So what does this all mean to you? Content providers are the ones that choose whether or not their content needs to be protected or not. Surprisingly, most DirecTV boxes will happily output a signal, even when connected to a device that doesn't support HDCP. Most, if not all, BD players on the other hand will always output HDCP, meaning that if you have a device that doesn't make "the handshake" with another HDCP device they won't "talk" to each other. This means that if your projector doesn't support HDCP, you may need to use analog outputs from your sources into the chosen video processor.


With an older 3-chip DLP, I think the CMS is going to be one of the biggest visual improvements you can make. I don't know how many demos I've done where you try and point out deinterlacing artifacts and people say "His face is red"....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that info JoshA. I guess I need to find out if something like the Lumagen will make that handshake with the projector.


I wonder, If I were to connect my Blue Ray disk player to the projector directly via a HDMI to DVI adapter and it works, then all should be good. And then if it doesn't, then there is always HD-SDI via the DVDO VP50pro.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiguy /forum/post/16891704


Thanks for that info JoshA. I guess I need to find out if something like the Lumagen will make that handshake with the projector.


I wonder, If I were to connect my Blue Ray disk player to the projector directly via a HDMI to DVI adapter and it works, then all should be good. And then if it doesn't, then there is always HD-SDI via the DVDO VP50pro.

Correct, if you connect your BD directly to your projector and get a picture then you should be okay with any of the video processors available.


The big advantage that the Radiance has over the VP50PRO is CMS and a usable multi-point greyscale/gamma adjustment. Yes, the VP50PRO has HD-SDI inputs, but that will require you to modify your sources with HD-SDI out. If that were the case, I would invest that money in a new projector, not modding sources for HD-SDI.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top