AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an HD noob and overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge and information being presented here. This is clearly the place to go if you want the right answers!

I live in a rural area about 35 miles from most of the stations I want (zip 43533...I will post a link as soon as I have enough posts to do so). I have only one tree that is even remotely close, and it's 100yds away across the street and not in a position that should interfere at all. That is actually somewhat of a problem though as this is a flat area of NW Ohio, I have no windbreak at all and we can get pretty strong gusts of straight line winds.

I'd like to mount the antenna in the attic if at all possible because of the wind. All of the channels I really want are within 3 degrees, so I'm not worried about a rotor. I'm thinking I will need a directional antenna in this case.

The house is wired with coax...not sure what quality at the moment. Currently two drops in the living room and one in the master bed, all meeting in one spot in the basement. I'm assuming I'll at least want to run good quality coax from the antenna to the basement and have a pre-amp in line somewhere.

I'm trying to keep the cost for antenna and equipment under $150 if possible. The only antennae I've found close to hear are a couple Philips ones sold at Lowe's for about $90. They boast a significant range for UHF...well over the 35 miles I need...but I haven't been able to find any reviews on them to know if they're actually decent ones so I'm a little hesitant to try them.

Any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
80 Posts
A set up like this

Can you do a attic installation? If so you are close enough to transmitters to use a DB4/ CM4221 or make one that has more gain like this one http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com . For the VHF stations combine a inexpensive Y5-2-6 from Antenna Craft with a also inexpensive UVSJ combiner/splitter. There is no need to worry about the weather in a attic. The 4 bay antennas will work well in the elements also and you will need a VHF antenna for that channel 5 broadcast. The Antenna Craft is a VHF Low band antenna(2-6) and may or may not handle the wind that well but it pulls in the higher VHF band (7-13) just fine in my attic 35+ miles from my transmitters.

Solid Signal.com sells the Y5-2-6 for a nice price...

My set up is here:

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollyon /forum/post/12851725

I'm an HD noob and overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge and information being presented here. This is clearly the place to go if you want the right answers!

I live in a rural area about 35 miles from most of the stations I want (zip 43533...I will post a link as soon as I have enough posts to do so). I have only one tree that is even remotely close, and it's 100yds away across the street and not in a position that should interfere at all. That is actually somewhat of a problem though as this is a flat area of NW Ohio, I have no windbreak at all and we can get pretty strong gusts of straight line winds.

I'd like to mount the antenna in the attic if at all possible because of the wind. All of the channels I really want are within 3 degrees, so I'm not worried about a rotor. I'm thinking I will need a directional antenna in this case.

The house is wired with coax...not sure what quality at the moment. Currently two drops in the living room and one in the master bed, all meeting in one spot in the basement. I'm assuming I'll at least want to run good quality coax from the antenna to the basement and have a pre-amp in line somewhere.

I'm trying to keep the cost for antenna and equipment under $150 if possible. The only antennae I've found close to hear are a couple Philips ones sold at Lowe's for about $90. They boast a significant range for UHF...well over the 35 miles I need...but I haven't been able to find any reviews on them to know if they're actually decent ones so I'm a little hesitant to try them.

Any suggestions or advice?

Have you used the Antennaweb or TVFool websites to examine the positions of the XMTRs and what antenna would work best for your location? I'd suggest you start there. Personally, I like the TVFool site better. I'd also recommend you don't rule out putting the antenna outdoors. I had mine in my garage attic and the analog reception was absolutely horrid. Ghosts, snowstorms, etc. and couldn't pickup the digital XMTRs. Moved it outdoors and I was astounded of the difference. I was picking up channels I didn't know existed when I moved the antenna outdoors. Also found that a bow-tie antenna, though listed as UHF only will pickup VHF well enough to work in my case. My Winegard 4-bay PR4400 only cost me $25 over the web and I didn't need a pre-amp. WRT the wind, mine didn't turn into a sail as some people say. I don't see antenna motion even in high winds. The Channelmaster bowties have some type of fencing material, which may increase the wind loading on the antenna. The winegard bowtie doesn't have the fencing on the antenna, so that may be why I don't see windloading problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts