AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 3D JVC rs40 should be here any week and I am still undecided on which AVR to upgrade to and need help desperately.

I will be upgrading from an old December 2003 Yamaha RX-V2400 7.1 system which received great reviews at the time.

Specs on RX-V2400

FRONT, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8Ω 120W + 120W

CENTER, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8Ω 120W

SURROUND, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8Ω 120W + 120W

SURROUND BACK, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% 8Ω 120W + 120W

MAIN, 8/6/4/2 Ω 155/195/250/330W 8Ω 1.3dB

5.1 system

Klipsch RC35 center

Klipsch RF35 fronts

Klipsch RS35 surrounds

Klipsch RW-12 sub

BLu-ray player Oppo BDP-93 (soon to arrive)

Possible upgrade = Emotiva xpa-5

I narrowed my choices to:

Denon AVR-4311CI

9.2 A/V surround receiver that's network ready to connect to your PC and the Internet. Includes HD Radio, all the lastest surround decoders, is easy to setup and delivers 140 watts of power to each of the nine channels.

Denon AVR-3311CI

Advanced 7.2 CH A/V Home Theater/Multimedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking. Network ready for photo, web audio and PC connectivity. HD Radio and 3D ready. 3 year warranty.

OR

Marantz SR7005

SR7005 Surround Sound A/V receiver. From HDMI 1.4a capability and internet connectivity to control flexibility and loudspeaker-taming power (125 continuous watts x 7)

If there are any other receivers out there that are superior please recommend. I am looking to stay under $1800.00 and must have hdmi 1.4 3D support, 7.1 (9.1 would be a bonus).

I really like the features of the Denon receivers (audysessy calibration etc) but constantly hearing of connect/ hdmi switching or digital noise issues from the 4311CI model. This is making me re-think my decision in purchasing the 4311ci due to all the issues and high price tag.

How would a 3311CI match up to Marantz SR7005? Like I mentioned, I may purchase the Emotiva xpa-5 to give some additional power

Please help me out and help me in my decision

Best regards and many thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you plan on getting 9.2 eventually? If not, the 4311 may be overkill unless it has some other feature that you want that the 3311 doesn't have. Klipsch speakers usually have a pretty high SPL rating and don't require a lot of power to play at high volumes, so you may not need an external amp either, but that's a whole other thread altogether!

I believe that Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, but I'm not sure how similar the internal components are between the 2 brands. I have a Denon and Klipsch speakers, and it definitely gets loud enough for my needs.

·
Premium Member
93,219 Posts
The 3311 and 7005 are built on the same platform, so essentially the same. The 4311 provides several upgrades including the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 as well as 9.2 of course. Choose between them based on their features and cost rather than on power requirements as they will all three be very similar when used with 8 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 /forum/post/19615890

Hi Jake,

9.1 might be an option later down the road. Not high on my list. Doubt I'd ever go 9.2 though.

Which Denon receiver do you have? Any issues ?

I have the AVR-789. I purchased it 2 years ago and it has had zero issues. I am most pleased with its performance.

Like jdsmoothie said, pick the one that has the features you like. Don't get hung up on one having 125 watts and the other having 140. I doubt you will notice a difference in sound quality or volume between the 2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards the 3311ci VS yamaha RX-A3000 (thanks phantom).

The rx2400 never gave me that true surround sound feel. Although properly calibrated using the mic setup I never had that true distinguishing surround sound. Was more just loud in general and not defined. I am hoping that the Denons Audyssey calibration will blow away my old AVR.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 /forum/post/19616345

Thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards the 3311ci VS yamaha RX-A3000 (thanks phantom).

The rx2400 never gave me that true surround sound feel. Although properly calibrated using the mic setup I never had that true distinguishing surround sound. Was more just loud in general and not defined. I am hoping that the Denons Audyssey calibration will blow away my old AVR.

Don't be surprised if you aren't blown away. If you decide to try the Denon be sure and contact jdsmoothie and batpig on setting one up. They seem to be the Denon,Audyssey gurus' for this site. Audyssey to me is far different than YPAO. Both are very good. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts