AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DL450 and DLS8 both benefit from a really good light engine... I had read that the DLX10 was substantially different and that it had some more problems associated with video use but I am not talking from experience.. IIRC I belive it was an issue with tearing at +60hz that was fixed by later firmware but the 'fix' included a green tint !! I am not sure if this was ever really sorted... I am also hazy on if this was the DLX650 but I am sure others can confirm or deny...

The DLS8 commands a premium over a DL450 (and I think you could beat that price if looking for reliable reputable second hand... remember bulbs are 6000 hour and $414 so not such an issue) due to extra brightness (800 over 550 +-)...

If it was my money I would find out what was up with the DLX10 and have that or the DLS8... lets face it you should be able to enjoy the DLS8 for a year or so and still recoup all but 400 - 600 on it. If all is well with the DLX10 you have a XGA 1000 lumen DLP and spec wise this trumps them both but the DL450 DLS8 light engine was very well respected...

You are aware you need a scaler or HTPC to make these really work well aren't you ???

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
126 Posts
I posted another thread about the DLX10 but now I've found two projectors more. Help me with picking out the right one.

DLX10, appx. US$ 2000, no information about bulblife, age or warranties but this would be the best one right? (XGA, more lumen) and I can see it and pick it up myself

DL450, appx. US$ 2000, screen incl. and 15 months warranty. Safest deal but has to be shipped and this is the oldest one of these three right? (discontinued?)

DLS8, appx. US$1400, used for 300 hours no warranty. The best price, 600 bucks is a lot of money, save it or buy a used Iscan and maybe a cheap screen. This model is from the same lineup and age as the X10 but SVGA, correct? Most for my money? Has to be shipped.

I will probably project a 70 inch wide picture in my living room. It will be ceiling mounted and I can control the lighting rather good (not pitch dark, but dark).

Which one to buy?

·
Registered
170 Posts
DLS8 is just incredible for its 800x600 resolution, great blacks, film like picture, color everything.

HTPC or a progressive scan player with 800x600 resolution output is a must, as projectors own scaler isnt worth a dime.

If you buy it you will like it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'd advise you to avoid the Iscan with this projector. Even though it does improve the picture dramatically over the projector's scaler, it will leave you wanting more. The picture will be locked in a 640x480 window in the middle of the 800x600 frame.

You're best bet would be to do what I and many others in this forum have done. If you decide to go with the DLS8, use the extra money to put towards a HTPC. Then head over to the screen forum and search for Do It Yourself screen solutions. I built a screen using Blackout Curtain fabric for about $40.

The only other issue is the warranty. But, as long as it's not DOA, you should be ok. Of all of the Davis owners on this forum, I've only read a few posts about serious problems, most of which were solved with help form the good folks here.

Hope this helps,

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.