Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My source will be DirecTV. Here's what I want to do with the HTPC:

1. Record the HDTV stream to my drive in it's native mpeg2 form (so with firewire or DVI I guess).

2. Output the computer's display to my Hitachi HDTV via DVI. I've tested the DVI with both a GF4 and ATI Fire GL, and to my surprise, it actually works. I want to output the entire desktop, so Winamp and DirecTV for instance.

3. Output sound from my HTPC via digital coax to my receiver.

4. Play recent games on the HTPC.

I already have a nice sony DVD player, so the HTPC wont be doing that for now.

So what kind of sound card/video card/hdtv card do I need? Do I still need a DTV receiver like a Samsung T165 or can I use a PCI based HDTV card for reception/channel changing/recording?

If what I'm trying to do isn't clear, I'd be happy to clarify.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rhehd

My source will be DirecTV. Here's what I want to do with the HTPC:

1. Record the HDTV stream to my drive in it's native mpeg2 form (so with firewire or DVI I guess).

This is a problem. You can get HDTV cards that tune and record OTA (over the air) HDTV signals... but the ones coming from DirecTV are going to require a setup like the 169time solution:

http://www.169time.com/

Quote:
2. Output the computer's display to my Hitachi HDTV via DVI. I've tested the DVI with both a GF4 and ATI Fire GL, and to my surprise, it actually works. I want to output the entire desktop, so Winamp and DirecTV for instance.
Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
3. Output sound from my HTPC via digital coax to my receiver.
Not a problem... just get a motherboard with built in soundcard and an SPDIF digital output... or a separate soundcard with digital output capabilities.

Quote:
4. Play recent games on the HTPC.
Unless you can display the standard resolutions on your display, then this is a slight problem. There are a few games that you can get to work in custom resolutions, like Unreal Tournament 2003 and Quake 3. Otherwise, you will have a "scrolling desktop" type screen, where you only see a portion of the overal display.

Quote:
I already have a nice sony DVD player, so the HTPC wont be doing that for now.
That's a shame, as the HTPC is an incredible DVD player, and is one of the easiest functions to get working. And it's display may even surpass your stand-alone Sony DVD player.

The nice thing about using an HTPC as a DVD player, is that you can scale the DVD picture to whatever you screen is capable of viewing... like scaling a DVD up to a 1080i resolution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The 169time/DVHS thing is not what I was hoping for. So let's say I go with a STB and record it's decoded signal. Is the Samsung TS160 the way to go? What would be the best way to get it's video signal into the PC--coax/component/dvi/svideo?

What are the HDTV PCI cards used for? Just cable?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
the 169time thing is the only way to record HD from directv at this time. THe HD pci cards only record OTA which is 8vsb format. Digital cable HD is in Qam which is another format altogether, which none of the cards yet decode. The Fusion III card slated to come out this summer is supposed to support qam, but it won't decode what ever channels are encrypted, ie hbo and showtime.

The only people who can record HD from satelite are people with dish network and a 5000 receiver with the 8vsb modual. (about $700 and tough to find all the parts)

Tivo has a STB HD recorder slated to come out in the 4th quarter of 2003, for directv and analog, that is what I am personaly waiting for. For now I use my fusion card to watch and record OTA hd, which in new york is only fox,abc,cbs,pix and UPN, but UPN is worse than analog. And I use a ultiamte tv for direct tv standard broadcasts.

dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.