Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

This is my first post here at AVS, although Ive been here before to read information about past purchases. I just moved to a new house, and need some advice as to what speakers I should purchase for my living room setup. I've got a 52 Inch DLP set currently, and about a year ago I purchased a temporary onyko 6.1 setup. I'm not really sure about the model number, but it cost around 500 dollars. I'm looking to get a new set of speakers, and I'm not really sure what to get.

We have the Television set up in the Den/Living room. I've attached a rough drawing of how the room is set up. My first question is, is my onkyo reciever good enough to use with new speakers? I would rather nto spend money on a new reciever. I think I read somewhere that the onkyo 6.1 Home theater in a box setups had bad speakers, but good recievers, but I can't remember. The same question applys to the subwoofer. Will the onkyo reciever and subwoofer be adequate, or should I replace those as well? I'm not an audiophile by any means, and I probably won't notice much of a difference.

In case you are wondering, the room is about 15 feet accross. I'm looking to spend no more than about 700 dollars on new speakers. I'd like to get something better than a 5.1 setup, but only if it fits my budget. Something not too ugly/big, because a certain someone might complain. Also, I'm looking to get these professionally mounted on the wall, so Id like to make sure that is possible with these speakers.

I appreciate any help someone can offer me. Please ask me to clarify anything I have said, or anything I have left out. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that sounds good and immerses me when I watch my movies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought SpeakerCraft speakers, and I highly recommend them. They sound great and are highly recommended at our local audio/video stores. I actually got mine online at automationmania. I am so happy with the SpeakerCraft, that I think I am going to add the whole house audio distribution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at their website. It looks like they make in wall/in ceiling speakers. Are these speakers able to produce the same sound quality and directional audio as regular bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
813 Posts
These seem to be good price, not sure how good they are, but they probably won't be the best when compared to larger bookshelf speakers, but for the price and sizel.

Rocket Tykes 5.1 theater, it's $399.
http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=36.1

The price leaves enough room to add additional speakers if you want more than 5.1. Their larger speakers get good reviews, so these are probably decent, plenty of reviews should be around. They also sell it for $100 more with a Kenwood receiver that I've only seen as cheap as $270.

The only other full 5.1 setup from an internet direct seller at around $700 that I know of is Aperion Audio's Intimus 422/S-8:
http://aperionaudio.com/products/pro...erion+Speakers

It's $799, but the shipping is included at that price, no tax, and they'll throw in this speaker wire kit for any 5.1 system . I do know the reviews for these are not as good as their larger speakers. But they do have a 30 day trial with free shipping both ways. They also have a 1 year trade-in program with full value of the speaker incase you want to upgrade to a larger bookshelf or floor standing.

Maybe someone else can be more helpful.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Two more popular choices: Hsu Research "Ventriliquist" package; and Athena Micro's. See this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=569148 .

You definitely need a new sub; you'll probably notice more difference with the sub than the speakers (for movies). The lower priced brand most commonly recommended is the Dayton, they've had a 10" out for a while, now offer a 12" (Available from PartsExpress). I think the 10 is around 120; and the 12 is 140 or so. The HSU STF series is good as well, but a little more expensive (and probably not as low/loud in the STF-1 model; the others are still more expensive).

I also would replace the receiver, but do speakers and sub first. You can get some pretty decent receivers for 350 or so, if you shop around (one common recommendation, if you can find one at a good price, is the Pioneer 1015; but I think it's more like 450 typically). There are cheaper Pio's and other brands as well; most any separate receiver is better than the HTiB kind.

Do you have a budget in mind, or did I miss that part?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mentioned above about 700 for the speakers, but this is not my limit. I just started looking at in ceiling/wall speakers that have been mentioned in this forum. How do these compare to regular style speakers? As long as they sound good, and provide positional audio, I would really like to look into these, as they look a lot better than big bulky black boxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.