AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on an upgrade from my current speakers the Andrew Jones Pioneer Bs22. Room size is 13'x10'x8' and the speakers are being used nearfield on a desk about 3 feet from the listening position.

Current setup:
Denon X1300W
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Pioneer Bs22

I have the speakers crossed over at 80hz currently. Bass is great with the HSU subwoofer but the mids/highs are definitely lacking. Dialog is hard to make out during movies with the current speakers without making constant adjustments to the volume (not sure if there's a setting in the AVR that might help me here?)

Budget is ~$300 for new bookshelf speakers but I'm willing to spend $400 if the upgrade is substantial enough over my pioneers. Speakers will be used for a mix of both music and home theater. Currently leaning towards front-ported speakers as the rear of the speakers are placed about 4 inches from the wall, not sure that matters as much though since they're being crossed-over.

Right now I'm seriously considering the Kef Q100 due to the ongoing sale, but I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have for me!

·
Registered
18,457 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For desktop use, with only 4 inches of rear clearance and a solid subwoofer doing the lows, the sealed cabinet Ascend 200SE would be my first pick:

Ascend is known for an impeccably neutral sound signature, with full mids and highs, which their published measurements verify.
Thanks for the suggestion! How does this speaker compare to the larger Ascend CBM-170 SE? That one seems to get a lot of praise around here.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
kef q100 is a great buy right now.... $229 from amazon ,,, it's a front ported speaker

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! How does this speaker compare to the larger Ascend CBM-170 SE? That one seems to get a lot of praise around here.
The 170 will have a little bit more mid-bass and more mid-bass punch...but with your VTF-2 in play, this is irrelevant. The two speakers share the same tweeter, so the mids and highs should be at the same high level. The 170 is rear ported, however...not great for 4" of rear clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kef q100 is a great buy right now.... $229 from amazon ,,, it's a front ported speaker
Almost pulled the trigger on these when I saw them on sale for $250. I've heard good things about coaxial speakers for near-field use so at the current price I might just have to hear these.

The 170 will have a little bit more mid-bass and more mid-bass punch...but with your VTF-2 in play, this is irrelevant. The two speakers share the same tweeter, so the mids and highs should be at the same high level. The 170 is rear ported, however...not great for 4" of rear clearance.
Definitely interested in those HTM-200s, they're the only speaker with 3 drivers I've seen in my price range.

Ideally I'd like to pick up 2 or 3 speakers to compare and see which one sounds the best for me. Are there any other speakers that should be on my radar?

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you are willing to go off the beaten path, I am completely satisfied using Emotive B1s on my desktop. They are very detailed and smooth up top. The mids are very clear and the lows are naturally flat. They integrate very well with a sub and can be crossed at either 60hz or 80hz. The soundstage is very convincing.

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
Definitely interested in those HTM-200s, they're the only speaker with 3 drivers I've seen in my price range.

Ideally I'd like to pick up 2 or 3 speakers to compare and see which one sounds the best for me. Are there any other speakers that should be on my radar?
Well, you could try the RSL CG23s, they are also an MTM design and come with free return shipping so there's no risk. However, they do run $400/pair.

There's also the sealed cabinet NHT SuperOne that Amazon has on sale for $300/pair, but no free return shipping.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Looking for suggestions on an upgrade from my current speakers the Andrew Jones Pioneer Bs22. Room size is 13'x10'x8' and the speakers are being used nearfield on a desk about 3 feet from the listening position.

Current setup:
Denon X1300W
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Pioneer Bs22

I have the speakers crossed over at 80hz currently. Bass is great with the HSU subwoofer but the mids/highs are definitely lacking. Dialog is hard to make out during movies with the current speakers without making constant adjustments to the volume (not sure if there's a setting in the AVR that might help me here?)

Budget is ~$300 for new bookshelf speakers but I'm willing to spend $400 if the upgrade is substantial enough over my pioneers. Speakers will be used for a mix of both music and home theater. Currently leaning towards front-ported speakers as the rear of the speakers are placed about 4 inches from the wall, not sure that matters as much though since they're being crossed-over.

Right now I'm seriously considering the Kef Q100 due to the ongoing sale, but I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have for me!
Those BS22's are notorious for muffled dialogue. You could try (if you haven't already) adjust the dialogue level on your Denon. Menu>audio>dialogue level. Better speakers are definitely a better option though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are willing to go off the beaten path, I am completely satisfied using Emotive B1s on my desktop. They are very detailed and smooth up top. The mids are very clear and the lows are naturally flat. They integrate very well with a sub and can be crossed at either 60hz or 80hz. The soundstage is very convincing.
Very helpful to hear from someone also running a desktop setup! Been itching to hear a speaker running a ribbon tweeter like that Emotiva, but I'm not sure those would be well suited for me with the rear port so close to the wall...

Regardless I'll keep those in mind as it sounds like you're happy with them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very helpful to hear from someone also running a desktop setup! Been itching to hear a speaker running a ribbon tweeter like that Emotiva, but I'm not sure those would be well suited for me with the rear port so close to the wall...

Regardless I'll keep those in mind as it sounds like you're happy with them.

For a 2.1 desktop system, don't get too wrapped up in the dogma about sealed and front ported speakers. Consider:

• 4 inches of space should be plenty of space for a 1 inch port. Even a sealed speaker will interact with a wall right behind it.
  • With the crossover set at 60 or 80z, the port will be tuned well below the frequency of the signal sent to the speakers. i.e. no signal going to port frequency = little air movement out of the port.
  • On a desktop, the speaker will probably be toed in causing any air hitting the rear wall to be deflected somewhat to the side.
  • At a distance of a only a couple feet it will take only a few watts to reach reference level, so the speakers will not be working hard.
  • Many speakers, such as the B1s, can be plugged. (Check with the manufacturer).

My B1s are less than 4" from the unfinished rear wall in my work space. If air from the port were a problem, the plastic sheet behind the speaker would flap - I've had no issues so far. I've also wall mounted 3 other sets of rear ported speakers and have had no adverse effects.

·
Registered
19,338 Posts
Double the diameter of the port + 1/2 of that, should be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off, really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to make suggestions.
I've been spending much of my free time researching all the great options you guys have given me.

Well, you could try the RSL CG23s, they are also an MTM design and come with free return shipping so there's no risk. However, they do run $400/pair.
Thanks for introducing me to those RSL speakers, Zorba. I'm a big fan of these MTM designs for a desktop because they have a cabinet more compact in width and depth than my current Pioneers, but more woofer area than a single 5.25" driver with those dual 4"s.
I'm surprised these speakers are only rated down to 85 Hz but I expect that just means they were designed to be matched with a good subwoofer.

For a 2.1 desktop system, don't get too wrapped up in the dogma about sealed and front ported speakers. Consider:

• 4 inches of space should be plenty of space for a 1 inch port. Even a sealed speaker will interact with a wall right behind it.
  • With the crossover set at 60 or 80z, the port will be tuned well below the frequency of the signal sent to the speakers. i.e. no signal going to port frequency = little air movement out of the port.
  • On a desktop, the speaker will probably be toed in causing any air hitting the rear wall to be deflected somewhat to the side.
  • At a distance of a only a couple feet it will take only a few watts to reach reference level, so the speakers will not be working hard.
  • Many speakers, such as the B1s, can be plugged. (Check with the manufacturer).

My B1s are less than 4" from the unfinished rear wall in my work space. If air from the port were a problem, the plastic sheet behind the speaker would flap - I've had no issues so far. I've also wall mounted 3 other sets of rear ported speakers and have had no adverse effects.
Double the diameter of the port + 1/2 of that, should be fine.
Good advice regarding the rear port. As long as the speakers aren't excessively deep it sounds like they should have enough breathing room.
I think the plan right now is to order 3 speakers of varying designs to see what I prefer most, then send back the others. I'd like to stick with options where I can get free shipping/return shipping to keep my expense down.

Does anyone know if Emotiva pays return shipping on their products? The B1 is out of stock on amazon right now.

·
Registered
21,745 Posts
I think the plan right now is to order 3 speakers of varying designs to see what I prefer most, then send back the others. I'd like to stick with options where I can get free shipping/return shipping to keep my expense down.

Does anyone know if Emotiva pays return shipping on their products? The B1 is out of stock on amazon right now.
Good plan; Emotiva does not offer free return shipping.

But don't rule out Crutchfield at $10/box to return bookshelves. That is hardly expensive.

SPEAKERS WITH FREE RETURN SHIPPING

BEST BUY BRANDS TO CONSIDER, EASY RETURNS
Polk Signature Series
KEF
B & W
Wharfedale
Martin Logan
Klipsch RP Series
Definitive Technology

INTERNET DIRECT BRANDS WITH FREE RETURN SHIPPING:

Aperion
SVS
HTD
RSL
JBL

CRUTCHFIELD BRANDS WITH $10/BOX TO RETURN BOOKSHELVES

Boston Acoustics
Cambridge Audio
Focal
KEF
Monitor Audio
PSB
Revel
Sonus Faber
Wharfedale

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
I'm surprised these speakers are only rated down to 85 Hz but I expect that just means they were designed to be matched with a good subwoofer.

Yes, the RSLs are definitely not designed for standalone use.

Emotiva doesn't provide free return shipping, sadly enough...I would've tried out their B1s a long time ago if that were the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts