AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really need some help choosing a receiver for my dads new place. He has a 40" LCD above the fireplace, and there is a single HDMI cable running from the cabinet area to the mounting location. His Sony LCD does have an HDMI port.

I need a receiver that I can hook up the HDMI out to the tv, and will send his analog and HDMI componets over the HDMI cable to the tv. He has a cable box with HDMI and component, a DVD/VCR combo that is component and composite, and a Wii for the grandkids that is composite. There are 5.1 speakers hanging on the wall that we will connect to this receiver.

So the primary need is for the avr to be able to pass analog signals over HDMI. Upconversion is NOT necessary. Upgrading the DVD/VCR is not an option, especailly since the Wii needs analog anyways. He doesnt watch many movies anyway, mostly old family tapes on the VCR. The AVR also needs to pass the audio to the TV, and play through the 5.1 speakers when desired.

Also, price is an option, cheaper the better. He's kinda limited right now due to the expenses of moving into new house and all that. Not an audiophile at all, listens mostly to am radio
The 5.1 speakers look to be standard Htib cheapies, but they will be good enough for his needs.

So please list any recievers you know of that will pass analog video and audio over HDMI, and cheap as possible! I have been reading the Sony DG720 manual online, but cannot figure out if it will pass the analog as needed.
Thanks for any help, my head is spinning....

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Yikes...

These setups tend to be problematic.

Your audio goals to the TV for all sources through the HDMi cable is not feasable.

With Sony move up to the 820 at least. HTIB speakers rarely work well, and the HTIB subs rarely work at all.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 /forum/post/17037029

So the primary need is for the avr to be able to pass analog signals over HDMI. Upconversion is NOT necessary. Upgrading the DVD/VCR is not an option, especailly since the Wii needs analog anyways. He doesnt watch many movies anyway, mostly old family tapes on the VCR. The AVR also needs to pass the audio to the TV, and play through the 5.1 speakers when desired.
Thanks for any help, my head is spinning....

Your first two sentences that I quoted above is a quandary. In order for analog to be passed along for output to HDMI you WILL need upconverting. I think what you meant was upscaling - which is best left to the display unit.

I agree with JohnDenver on this - it can be very problematic - sometimes things come together as intended but not often - however there are quite a few AVRs that can upconvert analog - my HK AVR
247 does this - as do the 347 & 254/354 series. Not well mind you - but they do. My own experience with the 247 is that it sometimes works - sometimes does not. HK calls it transcoding - others call it upconverting.

Upscaling is the process of changing the video signal from a lower res such as 480i to 720p or higher - and best left to your display if possible.

The Sony 720 you've been looking at cannot convert analog to HDMI. The Onkyo 606 and up does.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Your correct, I meant upscaling. Basically I need the AVR to take the analog audio and video from a VCR and Wii, and pass it to the tv through the HDMI cable. I dont need it to upscale those 480i signals to 1080p, just pass them along.

I have the Onkyo 606 and know it will do this, but the 606 is overkill for my dad. I was wondering if any of the cheaper recievers from other brands will do this. I know the Onkyo receivers under 606 will not.

Thanks for the link to the HK store! The 247 looks like what im looking for price and feature wise. So your saying the 247 will convert the analog signals to HDMI, but sometimes not? What kind of problems have you had with it?

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 /forum/post/17040414

Thanks guys. Your correct, I meant upscaling. Basically I need the AVR to take the analog audio and video from a VCR and Wii, and pass it to the tv through the HDMI cable. I dont need it to upscale those 480i signals to 1080p, just pass them along.

I have the Onkyo 606 and know it will do this, but the 606 is overkill for my dad. I was wondering if any of the cheaper recievers from other brands will do this. I know the Onkyo receivers under 606 will not.

Thanks for the link to the HK store! The 247 looks like what im looking for price and feature wise. So your saying the 247 will convert the analog signals to HDMI, but sometimes not? What kind of problems have you had with it?

The 247 does not have the ability to pass analog audio to HDMI. It will only do this with video - and can be a problem getting it to work - the manual is dodgy - but you still need to read the manual carefully.

To get any problems ironed out visit the 247/347 threads and post your problem if a search of those threads don't answer your questions.

My own 247 has an intermittent 'forgetful' mode where it will simply refuse to upconvert the analog s-video and composite to HDMI. It comes and goes - mostly it does work. The best way to cover this is to have an s-video to your display. Composite is converted to s-video and seems stable enough. More cable connections I know - but when it doesn't want to work you just can't make it do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts