AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the NAD 752, Denon 3803, and Rotel 1055... If you had to choose between the three, which would you choose and why??? I'll probably buy a matching DVD player or changer, as well, so. Your feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What are your prioities? Do you value sound quality over features? Do you need video upconversion, do you have warranty concerns. How will the receiver be used, and have you owned a home theater receiver before.

You will get many answers from people that own the receiver and the reasons they chose the way they did. Their reasons may or may not align with your needs. FWIW I prefer the Denon. Power, usable features and very good sound quality. The NAD has better sound quality and if I were mostly concerned with music I would go that way - although I have not played with the NAD much to see how user friendly it is. I know nothing about the Roter other than the specs I have read. When you are going to spend this kind of money it would be wise to do a lot of research and then even more demo/listening to each to decide what you like and need. Generic answer I know...but it is also good advice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response... I've owned several receivers, and I recently sold my Sony 333ES in order to upgrade. My use is about 65% HT and 35% music, though I'm confident that I can tweak any of these units to suit me. Unfortunately, no dealer carries all three of these units, so side-by-side comparisons are out of the question. I'll probably buy locally.

In order of importance, my priorities are:

1. Sound quality. Though, in this price range, I suspect that they will all sound pretty good.

2. Build quality. I want a reliable, well-built piece of machinery with as few corners cut as possible.

3. Amplifier quality. I want a receiver capable of high-current demands and wide dynamic range. The Denon worries me here.

4. Feature set. Features like analog bass management and video up-conversion would be nice, though not a deal-breaker.

5. Good DVD. Ideally, I want to buy both pieces of gear from the same shop, and want a good matching DVD player that delivers solid video performance.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would't worry about the Denon's amps. They are very solid and unless you plan on using 4ohm speakers that may drop to the 2ohm range you should not run out of power. That said...it looks like sound quality is your #1 concern so I would say go with the NAD, provided you have listened to it and agree that it sounds better than the Denon. I know there are a lot of people very happy with it. I have a Denon 4800 which souds great, but I am starting to search for a replacement. Processing capability along with video switching (features) are most important to me..followed by sound quality. As long as I can get somthing that sounds as good as the 4800 - features will be the deciding factor.

Just curious, why do you want a matching DVD player? Is it just aesthetics? I use a Pioneer Elite DV45A and may upgrade to a 47ai in the next year provided there is not something better released with i-Link and DVI/HDMI. Overall I am happy with the 45A but would like to simplify connections 2 or 3 vs. 10

Personally I would recommend getting the best player you can afford - regardless of who makes it - particularly since you highly value sound quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.