AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,

I am planning a surround setup for a new home my wife and i purchased. More than likely i will need to run wireless surround sound speakers, so i am going with the Yamaha RX-V685 with the two musiccast speakers. I am trying to settle on the center, right front and left front channels. I am trying to choose from the following:

Front Right/Left
Sony SSCS3 3-Way Floor-Standing Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52
Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II

Center
Polk Audio CSI A6
Fluance Signature Series HiFi Two-Way Center Channel
Polk Audio Signature Series S30 Center Channel Speaker
Cerwin-Vega SL-45C Quad 5 1/4" Center Channel Speaker

Thank you

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well those are rather different choices, so let me ask:
- How did you select those? What are your criteria?
- What is your budget, that's the most important
- Have you thought about a subwoofer?
- Where will the center channel go? In a cabinet? On top of a cabinet under the TV? What are the dimensional restrictions?

*"Serious" subwoofers kick in around probably $500 but there are some decent ones that will fill in some nice low end for much less. They just won't play as loud, and maybe not the thing if you listen to recordings with long organ pipes:
- I got this for my brother, $99 now, sounds good in his open layout https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9723
- There's similar from Parts Express, Polk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be totally honest I am still looking into having in wall speakers (from monoprice) installed professionally, just depends on the install costs. At that point there are a couple of Denon AVRs i would choose from.

Anyway. I settled on the SVS PB-1000 sub.

Center channel will go on top of entertainment stand. not huge but my 58in tv is sitting on it now. when i move, the tv will be mounted. there is plenty of space for a center channel.

I am also getting a 65in tv for this particular room, which is why i am looking for decent lower end towers. the ones I listed are ones I found (as far as i know). if you have other suggestions, please let me know. the budget is a little fluid. the wife has been pretty agreeable (i am sure there are things she wants to do to the house and wants me to be agreeable as well :) . If she gives me freedom with the home theatre, she will have a card to play :) )

TV and movies will mostly be what this is used for, although my wife likes to play music videos through youtube.

Also, room is not huge but has vaulted ceilings.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
check out Emotiva - T0 or T1 towers and the C1+ center. don't skimp on the center. even if you go with the in wall mains, don't skimp on the center.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the Emotiva suggestions, I'll definitely look into those.

Anybody have any thoughts on any of the speakers I am considering or any suggestions on others i should look into?

thank you

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
thank you for the Emotiva suggestions, I'll definitely look into those.

Anybody have any thoughts on any of the speakers I am considering or any suggestions on others i should look into?

thank you
Another strong rec for the Emotivas. They are at a whole other level of sonic excellence compared to your listed options.

For front L/R their T-Zeros are only about $100-150 more than the tower options you listed but would wipe the floor with them.

Ditto with the Emotiva C1 or C2 compared to the center speakers you've listed---for one thing, both are 3-way designs, while the ones you listed are all 2 ways.

But ALL of these free-standing options would sound better than in-walls, which I would consider only for the surrounds---for the fronts, in-walls are something you do only as a drastic last resort, e.g. your wife is holding a gun to your head. :)

Other thoughts:

Since movies and TV are your main usage, there is no need to do towers UNLESS you simply have a strong VISUAL preference for them---instead of the T-Zeros you could get a pair of Emotiva B1s and put the $180 savings into the C2 center which is a real beast and totally worth it if you have the space. The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE. It is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners.

For the same $500 as the PB1000, the Monolith 10" THX ported sub is much better---browse/ask on the Subwoofers forum and you'll see.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
8 Classic newbie mistakes

1. Overspending on the receiver, falling for the "latest and greatest" over-hyped sales gimmicks/gadgets/formats of the month, esp. the "future proofing" fairy tale.
2. Overspending on towers you don't need when bookshelves on stands will be as good or better and allow you to get better sub(s) and center speaker.
3. Underspending on the subwoofer(s). (Disregard if you never/seldom watch big-budget action movies.)
4. Being unaware that the CENTER SPEAKER actually does 70-80% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue, that "matching" horizontal centers are sometimes craptastic (related to #2 ), and that the only way to get a true "timbre match" (whose actual real-world relevance is debatable) is to use an identical speaker to your L/R in vertical alignment.
5. Buying more speakers than you need for your room, resulting in quantity over quality.
6. Buying a SEALED subwoofer even though your usage is mainly HT/TV and you're in a big space, and ending up with a uselessly weak sub that you'll have to pay more money to upgrade later for the bigger PORTED sub you should have bought to begin with.
7. Insisting on buying only well-known big brands at big box stores, instead of exploring other options (a.k.a. "the Jack Daniels whiskey mistake") you've never heard of before.
8. Trusting predatory and/or incompetent salespeople (BB Magnolia & some boutique shops), online shill reviewers, copy-and-paste clickbait review sites, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the good info. I do want some descent sound and it sounds like the towers or bookshelves are better than in wall. they are also more convenient and less "permanent" than in wall.

The B1s seem like they would just sit on top of stands. I would worry these would easily get knocked over by a an animal or kid. For that reason I might choose the towers (Im sure these could be knocked over as well. they just seem less likely. i could be wrong).

If i go with the T-Zeros and C1 or C2, would i have an issues with the yamaha rx-v685 since all 3 speakers are 4ohms? If so, would a different Yamaha work better with 4ohm speakers (I need to utilize the musiccast wireless surround function to avoid running wires along the hardwood floor).

I was looking into a Monoprice sub. So go with the ported version of this speaker. rather than the sealed version or the svs? Sounds good. I am not super knowledgeable in ported vs. sealed.

All very helpful. I'll be moving in the house very soon and will be making purchases in the near future.

thank you

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
If i go with the T-Zeros and C1 or C2, would i have an issues with the yamaha rx-v685 since all 3 speakers are 4ohms? If so, would a different Yamaha work better with 4ohm speakers (I need to utilize the musiccast wireless surround function to avoid running wires along the hardwood floor).

I was looking into a Monoprice sub. So go with the ported version of this speaker. rather than the sealed version or the svs? Sounds good. I am not super knowledgeable in ported vs. sealed.
How loud do you listen? Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone and find out. Most people are in the 60-75db range...for that average range, the 4 ohm Emotivas would be fine.

If you're like 75-85db (uncomfortably loud for most), something with around 90db sensitivity would be prudent, such as Chane, HTD Level 3, Ascend 170/340SE or Klipsch RP series.

For HT use, definitely go ported on the sub...you'll get 2-3x the output compared to a sealed sub of the same size/power. Sealed subs are arguably better for music, and/or small enclosed rooms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thank you for the info! Ill download that app and see what level I usually listen at. I think I have a good idea what directions I should go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts