AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently just purchased some AudioEngine A5+'s to use as speakers for my pc gaming/movie setup.
I read these could be paired up with a subwoofer to provide more powerful bass.
I did some research around and found so many different subs to choose from but all from really old articles (2010-2012).
I was hoping someone could recommend me a good sub.
1. Room is 12ft x 10ft.
2. They need to hook up to my AudioEngine A5+'s. (I also purchased a Schiit Modi 2 DAC to improve audio quality)
3. Budget is $350. I really don't want to go over this, and I wouldn't mind a cheaper solution.
4. Need sub with lots of power and sound quality for listening to music while gaming and watching movies.
Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
In that price range, the best-rated that I considered was a NXG BAS-500 (roughly $283 at Amazon). More than one reviewer tried to overdrive it, and couldn't. Reviews said it was well suited for music, which seems to be the higher requirement of a sub (any cheap sub can do some boom-boom for a movie).

But for a few ducats more, you could get the Hsu VTF-1 if the sale price is still active. I just got a VTF-2, and am supremely impressed with it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If you were willing to stretch your budget just another $50 Reaction Audio has a great deal on a B-stock BPS-212 sub. That's a dual opposed sub with two 12" drivers and a 350watt amp. It comes with a full warranty for $399 shipped.

https://www.facebook.com/reactionaudio

Currently one of the best deals IMO. If it has a full warranty, there is no reason to be frightened about purchasing B-Stock!

+1

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
yea it's a bummer that Reaction quit offering that model. It is getting harder to find good subs in the 4-500.00 range for those on a budget or simply do not need all the extra headroom.
I agree. I also felt that way when they retired the dual-opposing 12-inch driver models. But business is business, and I'm sure Jeremy felt there wasn't a lot of profit to be had with these two models.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
yea it's a bummer that Reaction quit offering that model. It is getting harder to find good subs in the 4-500.00 range for those on a budget or simply do not need all the extra headroom.
For that budget I think dual $200 subs is probably a better option.

Or a PA-150..

But I do wish more quality subs were in the $400 range...I mean, you can wait until a sub closes out. I got my LFM-1 Plus for $450 shipped - that was new also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For that budget I think dual $200 subs is probably a better option.

Or a PA-150..

But I do wish more quality subs were in the $400 range...I mean, you can wait until a sub closes out. I got my LFM-1 Plus for $450 shipped - that was new also.
Do you know where I can buy a PA-150 for around $350? It's 500 on amazon but I've read around you can buy it for less than 400. I'm having trouble finding it though.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Go to the Premier Acoustic's website and submit an offer. Often one can get this sub for under $400, and a few have gotten them for as low as $350.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts