AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to stream music from my pc to the living room, and I was looking at either airport express, apple tv, or squeezebox duet. I would like to go with the airport express using my ipod touch as a remote except I am worried about the audio dropout issues I have been hearing about with this, I have thought about the apple tv but I don't really need the video and picture capabilities plus I don't really care to have it running all the time as the atv does, the duet looks like a good option except it is far pricer and I can't help but feel a good chunk of the cost is in the remote which I do not really need. Also I would be running any of these directly into my onkyo preamp for the time being via digital and probably adding an external dac later on this year. Any thoughts on what if any of these would be the best option. I am open to other ideas as well, I am just not aware of any that are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 /forum/post/18258743

I just need to stream music from my pc to the living room, and I was looking at either airport express, apple tv, or squeezebox duet. I would like to go with the airport express using my ipod touch as a remote except I am worried about the audio dropout issues I have been hearing about with this, I have thought about the apple tv but I don't really need the video and picture capabilities plus I don't really care to have it running all the time as the atv does, the duet looks like a good option except it is far pricer and I can't help but feel a good chunk of the cost is in the remote which I do not really need. Also I would be running any of these directly into my onkyo preamp for the time being via digital and probably adding an external dac later on this year. Any thoughts on what if any of these would be the best option. I am open to other ideas as well, I am just not aware of any that are reasonably priced.

Why do you think you don't need the remote? If you truly don't, you could get a Squeezebox Receiver; it's the Duet without the remote for $149.

Actually...I was going to provide you with a link to this product, but...could it be, Logitech has stopped offering it?? If they have, boo on them. What a rip; glad I got my 2.

CD

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
he doesn't need a remote because he wants to use his ipod touch...

simple enough... but that's ok, SB has an app for that...

and yea, just get a SB receiver, get the SB Ipod App, and you are good to go...

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost /forum/post/18259914

he doesn't need a remote because he wants to use his ipod touch...

simple enough... but that's ok, SB has an app for that...

and yea, just get a SB receiver, get the SB Ipod App, and you are good to go...

Oh yeah, gotcha. Then just get an SBR...again, if you can find one. Like I said, I went to leave him a link and Logitech's website redirects you as soon as you hit the SBR page...and Amazon doesn't have them anymore. I even checked J&R and Crutchfield; I'm telling you, I think they did away with them

Maybe check eBay? Although, if they've stopped selling them, they may not be available for $149 anymore. And no, the v3 (also known as the Classic) is not the same. It's the older model, and it also has a remote; an IR one, not the wireless, LCD one like the Duet system. It's less than a Duet, but the SBR is still your best bet...if you can find it now.

CD

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrock59040 /forum/post/18259966

Is the squeezebox v3 the same thing as just the squeezebox receiver?

You want the squeezebox receiver (the receiver part of the duet) and you can use your IPod as the controller. However, the receiver (just the receiver itself) is temporarily out of stock.

You could buy the duet (a controller and the receiver -- which as packaged together is IN stock), so then you have two controllers and the receiver.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I just this week started using iPeng with my iPhone or my iTouch to control my Squeezebox Boom. That's a sweet combination if you already have one.

YMMV

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9 /forum/post/18261274

I just this week started using iPeng with my iPhone or my iTouch to control my Squeezebox Boom. That's a sweet combination if you already have one.

YMMV

+1 on iPeng. If you have an iPhone or iTouch it is the best $10 you can spend for your listening

1 - 8 of 8 Posts