AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster - I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I'm trying to choose between several different types of HDTV's to buy at my local Best Buy store.

Here are the choices:

Hewlett-Packard PL5060N Plasma 50"

Samsung HLS5087 1080p 50" DLP Rear Projection

JVC HD5678P7 720p 56" HD-ILA Rear Projection

JVC HD56FN97 1080p 56" HD-ILA Rear Projection (w/ stand)

All are similar in price because of sales or special offers. I'm new to this stuff so I'm just trying to get the best for my money for a screen that is easy to set up and handle.

Also - is it worth it to pay extra to have it set up for me (including hook-up to home theater system and programming remote, etc) or is it simple enough anyway?

I'd appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well, right off the bat I'm not sure why you'd consider buying a 720p set when you say you can pick up the 1080p version (with a stand) for around the same price.

Short answer - there's no easy answer, particularly since there's not a lot of info here. How far away will you be watching? What devices will you be hooking up now? In the future? Is space at a premium?

Hooking any of these up will be no different from hooking up any other tv. If you connected the previous tv yourself, you'll have no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more info:

I'll be sitting anywhere between 8 to 10 feet from the screen. I'll have HDTV programming through a local cable company, playing the XBOX360 on it and for now will have a DVD player that upconverts to 1080i (if I remember correctly), but I'm also thinking of getting the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

I'll be using the HDMI connection for the HDTV programming and using component cable for the other two connections. I'm still at work and can't remember the exact model of the Panasonic home theater sound system I have - I'm a noob so I dont' have all this memorized yet!

What makes me the most nervous about this purchase is just the reliability of the set I buy (the HP PL 5060N 50" Plasma vs the JVC rear-projection units). I want it to last awhile and with myself, my wife and our 3 kids using it - it will have to be durable!

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Ignore guyheberts. He is a pro-Mitsubishi troll that uses several different aliases to trash Sony and SXRD at every opportunity.

At 10' viewing distance, you should go no smaller than 56" and I would probably elect for a 60-61". Look at Amazon.com's prices to make sure you aren't overpaying.

All the models you linked were recently discontinued, with 2007 models set to replace them in the next 30-90 days. At that time, you can expect those displays (and plenty of other 2006 models) to be offered at further discount. Prices on 2006 models will only go down from here.

Quote:
Also - is it worth it to pay extra to have it set up for me (including hook-up to home theater system and programming remote, etc) or is it simple enough anyway?

No, but it is probably a good idea to opt for the extended warranty.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

I

At 10' viewing distance, you should go no smaller than 56" and I would probably elect for a 60-61". Look at Amazon.com's prices to make sure you aren't overpaying.

No, but it is probably a good idea to opt for the extended warranty.

As good as the PQ is on a Sony I would go with the 70" at 10' if you can swing the price. I have been looking a the 70's up close and personal and with a good DVD player or any HD source and even with the better SD sources you can be inside 9' on the 70" sony and still have a pretty dang good pic. I am 13' and the wife is 11' and so I looked closely from there and WOW! Of course the screen might just be overwhelming at 10' with a 70" model, but I don't think so.

The price on the 70" sets are high still. Be sure and look around and ask for the BEST PRICE and then walk out on them leaving your number and name with the sales guy. The Sony 70" sets are getting down close to $4500 on a best price deal. I have two quotes are that pretty good but not at my majic $4500... Both are B&M specialty stores (not big box stores...BB was not close at $5300) these guys were at $4747 and $4830...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.