AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect my Windows 7 Ultimate HTPC to my Pionner VSX-1019AH AVR through the multichannel inputs. The Pioneer only has 5.1 channel inputs so I bought three 3.5mm to RCA adapters from Monoprice and connected them from outputs on the Realtek onboard audio (Orange-Center/Sub, Green-Front L/R audio, Black-Surround L/R) to the RCA multichannel inputs on the receiver. When setting up in Windows I receive sound from both rear speakers but only either the center or sub, or either the front left or right speaker (depending on which way I connect the RCA's). What am I doing wrong? I assume it is a problem in Windows settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Ok, that's a decent mid-range receiver with HDMI and HD audio decoding.

Why in the world would you connect a HTPC using analog multi-channel outs?


Even if you are not using the HD capabilities of your receiver, surely a single HDMI cable is better (physically & electrically) than using 6 lines.


Just want to understand your motivation.


With regards to your problem; are you using an audio cable or just an adapter? I assume you mean a cable with one headphone plug (3.5mm) at one end and two RCA males at the other. Try one cable at a time; test the fronts, then the rears and finally the center/sub.


Can you post a link to the adapter that you are using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18167259


Ok, that's a decent mid-range receiver with HDMI and HD audio decoding.

Why in the world would you connect a HTPC using analog multi-channel outs?


Even if you are not using the HD capabilities of your receiver, surely a single HDMI cable is better (physically & electrically) than using 6 lines.


Just want to understand your motivation.

?

Obvious answer is that he doesn't have an HDMI audio capable sound/video card, and he wants to hear as close to lossless audio as possible. A way to achieve this is to get ffdshow to decode the streams and send the audio out over analog connections. Some sound cards have better audio DACs than mid-range AV receivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured out that I need to go into the Realtek audio manager and unplug and replug in my connections and I got it to work. I was trying just to go through the standard windows audio setup before.


My motivation is that I am trying to send audio to two different displays and HDMI just does not want to play nicely. The problem is that I want multichannel audio going to my AVR which is connected to a Sony VPL-HW15 and two channel stereo going to my Panasonic TCP50S1 plasma in another room. I have tried to split the signal from my MCPC with a monoprice 4x2 HDMI matrix switch and the panny does not want to accept multichannel audio over HDMI. I thought about using different audio sources such as HDMI for the receiver and stereo mini plug for the plasma but Media Center will only output audio over one connection. I decided that the only way to get audio to both points is to use the analog outs on the HTPC and splitting the front channels signal. If anyone else has a better solution that does not cost a fortune I would like to hear it. This is just a temporary solution until I can get a separate AVR for the plasma. Gefen makes an adapter that converts spdif to 2 channel RCA (I would split the spdif signal befor the adapter) but I would rather put that money toward another AVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/18167459


Obvious answer is that he doesn't have an HDMI audio capable sound/video card, and he wants to hear as close to lossless audio as possible. A way to achieve this is to get ffdshow to decode the streams and send the audio out over analog connections. Some sound cards have better audio DACs than mid-range AV receivers.

Its not obvious and I wanted to know if he has HDMI on his HTPC without assuming it. In that case a cheap solution would be a $20 ATI 4000 or $35 ATI 5000 card.


Posting advice and tips based on information is what these forums are for. If more info is provided, more solutions can be applied.


Anyway, OP, based on your info a solution comes to mind. Your receiver is capable of powered Zone 2 mode. It can provide 5.1 sound in one area and down-mixes the same signal to stereo for Zone 2 speakers. If you can run speaker wire from the Side Speakers to the other room you should be able to play the same sound there.


Do you think the above idea can work for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/18169229


Its not obvious and I wanted to know if he has HDMI on his HTPC without assuming it. In that case a cheap solution would be a $20 ATI 4000 or $35 ATI 5000 card.


Posting advice and tips based on information is what these forums are for. If more info is provided, more solutions can be applied.


Anyway, OP, based on your info a solution comes to mind. Your receiver is capable of powered Zone 2 mode. It can provide 5.1 sound in one area and down-mixes the same signal to stereo for Zone 2 speakers. If you can run speaker wire from the Side Speakers to the other room you should be able to play the same sound there.


Do you think the above idea can work for you?

Thanks for the reply. I knew that my receiver had that capability but I had not tried it because my theater room actually runs 7.1 channel and I send 7.1 PCM to my receiver from my PS3 for BD movies so I really don't have those two channels available. Unfortunately my receiver only has 5.1 multichannel inputs. I can run 7.1 channel over HDMI from my videocard (Radeon 4650) but Windows 7 has a bug with HDMI audio in media center where it cannot matrix 5.1 audio from HD content (ATSC or QAM) to 7.1 channel. This error breaks live and recorded HDTV. Thanks again for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
hmm....did you try testing the speakers one at a time from Windows audio properties to see if they sound right. And set the properties to 5.1 setup in Windows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7.1 channels work fine over HDMI in windows and in every other application (TMT, PowerDVD, etc) but have a problem in Media Center with HDTV shows that have 5.1 surround. I have been switching back and forth between my ATI 4650 and a NVIDIA GT220 and both have the same problem. I just installed new ATI 10.2 drivers today and need to still see if it has fixed the HDMI problem.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top