AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

OK...so I have an HTPC built with one of the new HDMI video cards. It works great when I connect the HTPC to the TV. However, this obviously only gives

me sound from the internal TV speakers on my Samsung DLP.

What I want to do is connect the HTPC via HDMI to both the TV and my home theater receiver. I want the sourround sound from the home theater speakers

and not the TV.

This is where I have a problem because my home theater receiver has one HDMI out and my TV has only one HDMI in. How do I go about doing this? Do I need an HDMI splitter? I thought splitters were to display on two TVs and not used for what I would like to do.

For a better understanding, here's how I currently have my setup...

Comcast HD Receiver - Connected to TV via component cables and the only optical audio port on my home theater kit is hooked up directly to the Comcast box.

HTPC - Connected to TV with just one HDMI cable. (but only have sound via TVs internal speakers).

How do I connect it to both the TV and home theater kit so I can have the PC sound through my home theater speakers?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you --mike

· Registered
11 Posts
Mike,

Optical and coax connections are both digital and are pretty much equal for sound quality. I use DVI -> HDMI from my HTPC to my Sammy for video only, then coax from my HTPC to my receiver for audio. Other than video from my HTPC all audio/video inputs go into my receiver with a single video only output to my Sammy, all audio is handled by my receiver.

· Registered
1,823 Posts
Mike, we'll probably need a bit more info on your receiver - model #, or at least how many digital inputs it has.

Best case will be to do as previous poster suggested and hook all the video sources directly to your television and all the audio to your receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.