AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here, being AVS noob. I googled for the solution and came across this forum with some suggestions from years ago. Figured my questions will fit better in this section since I'm trying to figure out how to connect my media source (either laptop with HDMI output or Android pc-stick with HDMI output) to an older TV which doesn't have HDMI port. I'm looking for any excuse not to throw away our old 40" Sony tv, and was hoping to find HDMI to AV components converter box. To my surprise, I see stuff from $40 to $250. I wasn't looking for anything fancy or high quality, just a way of digital to analog conversion.

Before finding this forum, I took a risk and ordered one of these boxes but now not so sure if it works. The box I have on order is THIS one. The question I have, where I'm a little confused, they are talking about AV CVBS / RCA components. I'm quite familiar with Yellow (video) and Red/White (audio) cable - the old school. The color coding of this box suggests the same, and I can see HDMI input and Pal/NTSC switch. But will that CVBS work as a normal video signal? I mean, if it doesn't work I can always return it, besides for $40 it's cheaper than getting another TV. Although I'm waiting to receive it any day now, I figured to ask just in case if I should order something else instead? I know it's weird to be talking about cave age tv in high tech forum, but nevertheless I'm hoping for a solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64  /t/1472740/need-help-connecting-my-streaming-computer-to-an-older-tv#post_23316411

Yes, CVBS is composite Video (Blanking and Sync)

Awesome, thanks!

I assume nobody has experience with such little converter boxes? But anyway, if I don't forget it I will come back once I receive it to let you know if its working.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It should work, but some of the boxes my friend tried did not work. I don't know if the HDMI --> Composite signal didn't convert properly when being PC driven, or if the TV didn't like the signal coming out of the converter box. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEBH964  /t/1472740/need-help-connecting-my-streaming-computer-to-an-older-tv#post_23319341

Have you thought about buying a cheap ROKU box and setting up a plex server on your HTPC?

Well, I'm expanding my already existing "android" setup
I actually write reviews of different smart phone accessories, and in this particular case had a project for converting a regular TV into a smart TV, my original review here: http://androidforums.com/google-tv/717574-review-mk809-ii-android-tv-lots-pics.html But then, I decided to kick it up another notch by turning an ancient tv (without hdmi) into smart tv lol!!

Btw, that converter box arrived today and you guys were right - it works! Of course, the issue now is that we are talking about widescreen output going into 4:3 old tv where it gets squeezed. Since android stick can pickup any other devices connected to wifi router, it also connected to my Linkstation network HD where I had movies/pictures stored. Plus, I can pull anything from YT, and do web browsing.

But the main gaiting item was going from HDMI to Component, and I'm happy that I can do it now with this tiny $40 box. I will post a write/review a little bit later. It's not really about quality of the video, probably something you guys discuss a lot in this forum, but about enabling functionality. I didn't realize that due to low demand nobody really cares about such hdmi-to-AV converters but if you need it - those are hard to find. So perhaps if anybody else in the same boat as I'm, they can benefit from my little setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a little nervous with this one ( HMDI2AV ) because I saw an output with a typical red/white audio and yellow for video but video said "CVBS". But you guys suggested its going to work and it does! First of all, it's a tiny little box I weighted to be exactly 40g (1.4 oz) and about 60mm x 55mm x 20mm. You get full size HDMI input, AV RCA connector output, and PAL/NTSC switch for your video signal (so you are covered for both US and EU), and mini-usb input for power. It comes with mini-usb to USB cable in case if you don't have one considering everything switched to micro-usb, and also instruction booklet. As you can see, I plugged in my Android stick, hook up wires going to TV, switched to NTSC and thats all. You do NOT even need to power it up with external cable. I can only guess it gets its power from HDMI pins of Android stick since those are powered up. Of course, we are talking about HD widescreen output intended for a tablet going to 4:3 ancient tv so the image is squeezed on the sides. But it has nothing to do with a conversion, but rather with different "display resolution". Pretty much I converted 11 year old dinosaur tube tv into a smart tv. You do need to use wireless keyboard for controls (I'm using Anker mini keyboard with touch pad).

A few pics I took:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts